Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alan1945

M1941 Johnson Serial Number 2104

5 posts in this topic

Hi All,

If you remember I posted on here a couple years ago (exactly) when I bought my first M1941. I've been fascinated by the Johnson ever since, so bought my second one today. My first one was serial number 0244 and was in rather well-used condition with a poor bore:

097522a3-8d36-4638-8fcf-2136a676469c_zps

I just received the second one today and its in better condition overall -- with a rather nice barrel on it! This is serial number 2104. I've had #0244 out on the range a few times now and while it functions great the accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. I'm looking forward to take #2104 out:

0fa322bd-e132-4e02-9eee-c18b90ade07e_zps

I'll take some better photos in the coming days and post them. Could someone please post the serial numbers of #2104 -- I was very interested in hearing the part numbers for #0244 and hope I can do the same with this one?

I've yet to perform a close examination of the rifle, but one thing I did immediately notice is that the barrel on #2104 is different than on #0244:

• Its ~1/3" or so longer on #2104 than on #0244. The front sight is the same distance from the chamber, but the barrel extends further past the front sight.
  • The barrel diameter before the front sight is thicker (by ~1/8") on #2104, and steps down to about the same as on #0244 forward of the bayonet lug
  • The top of the front sight post on #0244 is "ramped" (the end closest to the receiver is higher than the end closest to the muzzle). The front sight post on #2104 is flat across the top (the end closest to the reciever is the same height as the end closest to the muzzle).

3dc011cb-cc5d-4d15-9da5-7c51e8a11222_zps

I'm by no means an expert on Johnsons, so don't know why they would be like this. I thought this may possibly be one of Joe Scott's reproduction barrels, but the wear on its finish appears consistent with the rest of the rifle. Is anyone hear familiar with this variation?

Thanks very much,

Alan

Edited by Alan1945

If it is a real 30-06 Johnson Barrel, you will find the standard markings in the chamber area; 1). J - A, 2) 30 - ' 06, 3) Dutch Proof (Circle -O and Sword) and 4) Sr#. The locking bushing will also have a Sr# that may or may not match. Joe Scott puts a JS on the bushings he made- no other markings. I don't know if he put his JS on barrels, but I know he would not attempt to duplicate the original marks. In the 1950s Winfield had many barrels made in CA with different profiles. Some had Bayonet steps and others were for the ramped sporter sight with no bayonet lug step. The first Johnson I bought had an M-1 Garand barrel re-profiled to fit. What gave it away (other than no Johnson markings) was a vertical slot for a pin that was just forward of the front bushing. Many barrels were made from 03 Springfield and other. When Johnson assembled the barrels, the distance between front bushing and locking bushing was sometimes short. In these cases, they put a shim washer behind the step and the front bushing to move the bushing forward. There could be some variation in exact length as a result. Machining was all done by hand so it is possible they may have cut the step for the front sight too far back, but that would not explain why the distance to the front sights are the same.

I don't know if this helps, but at least you will be able to tell if it is an original Johnson. 

1941 Johnson BBL I-O and Sr No.jpg

1941 Johnson BBL Sr No.jpg

1941 Johnson BBL I-O.jpg

1941 Johnson BBL I-O Sr No Matching Bush No.jpg

Thanks for the info and photos. This locking bushing is stamped with a serial number ("115E"). There is no Dutch proof mark or serial number on the barrel itself, but there's a faint "R 1 7" and "2" between the locking bushing and guide bushing. The guide bushing is stamped with "30-06" and "41". It was a long day by the time I got my Johnson home (I was very tired), and I didn't even think of comparing the markings on this barrel to the original barrel on my other Johnson!

Here's a photo of the two of them together. #2104 on the top, #0244 on the bottom.

4264414a-24c7-4462-9266-7985dde381b1_zps

Cheers,

Alan

Edited by Alan1945

Here is the data on JSAR #2104:

Received from Cranston Arms 11/24/41

Stock # not listed

BBL #1262A

Hammer block #4573

Hammer #2921

Bolt #2552

Locking cam #3261

Firing pin #3703

Extractor #4513

Magazine #4625 

Transferred to NPC 11/25/41

Looks like your bbl is a replacement since it has no markings/proof as  described and shown by Clinocio.  Replacement bbls used JSAR locking bushing and guide collars and sometimes front sights and bayonet lugs which were not always mounted correctly.

Thanks for the information Brian. It is much appreciated. It has matching numbers on the Hammer Block, Hammer, Bolt, Locking Cam and Extractor.

I will have to do some more research on the barrel when I have time, but it certainly appears to be a replacement. I don't see the pin slot that you would expect on a Garand barrel. Maybe its an M1903 barrel?