SouTac

1941 Johnson Chilean Contract 7mm Mauser #5561

14 posts in this topic

Hello my name is Russ Beasley with Southern Tactical i have acquired through and estate a 1941 Johnson from The Chilean Contract in 7MM serial #5561. Please if when you guys get a chance could you research the serial number for me. It was a Navy Arms import. I was told by a former employee that it was one of the first 200 as it didn't have the receiver remarked to 7mm. The gun is clean but has a few dings and scrapes on the stock and it not matching it has a early serial number. I have included a picture link. I would like to sell it and would like to know a fair asking price for it. It comes with the factory bayonet as have a much better bore picture if interested. I thank you guys for your time. Please feel free to email me at southerntacticalva@gmail.com. The picture link http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/southerntactical1/library/Lathi/Johnson?sort=3&page=1

Thanks

Russ

Southern Tactical

Edited by SouTac

Is is just me, or is it a bit scary that 7mm rifle exists with both receiver and barrel marked as .30-06 instead of 7mm?

Here are the #s on JSAR#5561

Received from Cranston Arms 1/29/42

Stock #2

Bbl #6542E

Hammer block #5312

Hammer #8986

Bolt #6426

Locking cam #6573

Firing pin #7944

Extractor #5034

Magazine #8002 

Transferred to Chile 2/3/42

Most of the Chilean JSARS I had seen have the correct numbers.  Apparently, they were little used in Chile and not disassembled en mass

Brian,

If as you say most of the JSARs that you have seen have the correct numbers, is there a chance of a possible transcription error on the BOLT number....in the photos provided, other than the receiver, only one other number is shown and the bolt is clearly 6420, not 6426.

Just checking, ArtR

Art,

In the log, the # is clearly 6426.  I would suspect a transcription error at the time of recording if the other #s match.

Brian

I thank you guys for all this information. I will post the other numbers once i take it down when I'm off on Thursday. With all this being said what is this thing worth? Everyone told me to come here for questions and boy have yall blown me away with your knowledge. I love to know how much it is worth and would love to sell it to someone who really appreciated how neat a item it is. 

Thansk

Russ

Brian

That is exactly what I was wondering....so, if that is possible, which we all know it can happen, I have to wonder how many other times this might have occurred. As a person who has worked with numbers for most of my life, I understand about transposition/transcription errors, and the havoc that they can do to any auditor. While we probably have not seen it much here, be aware that it does and can happen. In this case, I might be willing to say that the bolt could very well be original.

ArtR

As with most collectibles, particularly guns, there may be a difference between what it is worth and what you can get for it at any particular time, especially if you have to sell.  Yours appears to be a very nice original Chilean JSAR with a bayonet and Chilean scabbard.  The bayonet and scabbard alone would bring around $500.  The rifle appears to be in excellent original condition with a few mars on the wood.  The 7mm are not as popular as the 30-06 even though most Chileans have correct numbers.  Your rifle would generally go for between $5000 and $6000 at a show.  You see many very nice JSARs with asking prices in excess of $6500 that just sit on various auction sites for months and months unsold.  Occasionally, one at auction will get involved in a bidding contest and go for up to $10,000 but that is unusual.  Last year I purchased a Chilean + bayonet which was nicer than yours (wood was without blemishes and metal was mint) complete with a Dutch sling for $6200.  If someone was purchasing yours for resale, it would go for $3500-4200.  All that being said, if you want to hold out until the right buyer comes along, you should get $6500 for the rifle and bayonet.  If you want to move it, take around $5000.  If things are critical get $4000 (or less) from one who deals in them.

Hey Russ,

Is it possible to take a picture of your chamber and post it?

thanks

wayne

Here is a picture of both the 30-06 and 7mm bbls.  The 7mm is "stepped"

DSCN0492.JPG

Thanks Brian! Now that I'm on the same page as you!! That is exactly what I needed to see!

Wayne