Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
orionsbeltp3vx31

Bolt catch trouble.

2 posts in this topic

Hey guys I am new to the group. I joined because I am having trouble with the bolt catch on my 1941 Johnson. I can't get it to engage and catch the bolt in the rear position. I examined the magazine follower carefully and it appears the follower isn't contacting the bolt catch extension that protrudes into the magazine housing enough. There is contact but the follower isn't pushing far enough to the right on the extension to cause the catch to come up enough in the rear to catch. Any ideas on how I might be able to get this feature functioning again. Please keep in mind this a replacement bolt catch as the original was removed years ago. Ha oddly every johnson I own has had the catch removed. I am starting to see why. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Years of experience determined that each bolt catch was fitted to each rifle.  The little fingers vary from the drawing dimension.  I am of the opinion that the catches were removed by the importer when they had thousands to clean.  When they put a gun together, they installed a catch.  If it worked, good to sell.  If it didn't catch bolt, they left them out and sold the guns without catches.  Some years ago I obtained a small lot of these short catches that had been removed.  I have reworked these and test them in my gun.  They have worked in all sale cases but one which I exchanged.  Approximately 1/2 to 2/3 of rifles were sold without catches.  Message me for prices.