Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
douglas.hughes

Johnson Rifle Serial 4446

9 posts in this topic

Hello to forum, been some time since I was here but Mr. Pullen helped me bring my profile up to date and I have rekindled my interest in Johnson Automatics by purchasing a Johnson Automatics Military Ammunition Chart broadside (or poster) at the recent Tulsa show.

I have the  rifle serial numbered 4446. I purchased it 4 or 5 years ago  and it has the 7 x 57 barrel with the Navy Arms legend on bottom side. The receiver is marked 30-06. The bolt has the number 8513 on it and the bottom of the lug on the barrel collar (chamber end) is numbered 9143E. I would appreciate any information on the serial number that can be provided from the factory ledger.

I did have a question on the caliber marking on the receiver. I have seen specimens purported to be Chilean contract rifles with the 30-06 marking xxxxx'd out on the receiver. Does anyone know if this normal? Also, in reading Mr. Canfield's book I learned that the Chilean rifles were purchased directly from Johnson Automatics. My rifle has the Dutch star on receiver and the Cranston mark in the triangle? Would this be correct for a Chilean rifle or should they be absent on the rifle purchased by Chile?

Anxiously awaiting replies, thanks in advance.

Doug

Hey Doug,

My rifle is a Chilean purchase and it has the star and Cranston mark in the triangle also.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, is your caliber marking x'd out or does it say 30-06?

Doug

7MMAD2.jpgYou have a Chilean JSAR.  Both the bbl and bolt are original to the rifle. The production log is as follows:

Received from Cranston Arms 1/30/42

Stock #2

Bbl; #9143E

Hammer block #6270

Hammer #0258A

Bolt #8513

Locking cam #6490

Firing Pin #4454

Extractor #5238

Magazine #A1436

Delivered to Govt of Chile 2/3/42

Unlike the Dutch  (and US) rilfles, many of the Chilean JSARs were not "messed with" and have all original (to the rifle) parts.

Attached is the original Navy Arms Ad in SG News\ 

LMGAD2.jpg

7MMAD3.jpg

Mr. Alpert,

Thank you for checking and posting these numbers.

All of the numbers on parts match your list with exception of magazine. I had A1435 written down but I may have not looked close enough (my eyes don't work as well as they used to!).

This is really good news to know my rifle is correct.

Curiosity got the better of me and I went back and double checked. My magazine is in fact numbered A1435. So, all parts original to rifle with exception of magazine.

In my experience with JSARs, most of the rifles I have seen with parts original to the gun have been Chilean contract.  Most were apparently little used and not arsenal reconditioned where the parts would be mixed.  Although the Chilean JSARs are relatively rare and able to be documented (as they were all in the no prefix # block).....with only 900 being produced, they are not as highly prized as they might be, actually going for less than Dutch  rifles in comparable condition without parts original to the gun.  I have 2, complete with bayonets with the unique Chilean scabbards, original leather slings and muzzle cover.

Mr. Alpert,

It is odd to me that the Chilean rifles possess all of the attributes that would normally bring a premium in price for a military arm (rarity, condition, and originality) yet they are not as desirable and in fact do not sell higher.

When I bought this rifle Mr. Joe Scott told me this same thing. I took it by his table at Tulsa and got some pointers on various aspects of servicing and shooting. I go to the Tulsa show at least once a year and I make it a point to stop and see him. I will add that he always has been very gracious in answering questions. A very nice guy and a wealth of knowledge!

I think that at some point people will wake up and the Chilean rifles will get the respect they deserve. Of course I'm a little biased in my opinion as this is the only Johnson rifle I own :)