Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

$59.50 JLMG's

2 posts in this topic

Found some old ads from 1957 for 1941 JLMG's. World Armament Supply Co. had dewats with bipod for $59.50. No restrictions, no paperwork, no age limit. Ma Hunter's were $50. Golden State Arms had your choice of 7 dewat subguns for $39.95. In the ads for Winfield Arms, they did not have Johnson rifles listed yet. I wonder how many of these dewats are still in closets. Even if we found one, I wonder if we could get it registered now?

I was fortunate enough to receive some paperwork regarding JLMG importation in the "good old days". I'm not writing from home, so don't have the figures handy, but there were not alot of these imported (and DEWATTED). If memory serves, the transfer of Dewats had to be done a Form 5 (non-taxable transfer), so one would expect them to be in the Registry. I know of two that have been reactivated, these having a "d" stamped by "reactivator" as a prefix to the factory s/n. BTW, I have a copy of the Hy Hunter "dewat" catalog from about 1958. Some prices seem high for that period, but they sure are attractive now! TSMGs for $75; UD-42s for $49.95 (wonder if anyone can find one for sale today); STENs for $49.95 (in the early '60s these were down to $9.95, as were Chauchats). In about 1963, Ma Hunter (Val Forgett's company - Service Armament Corp.) was offering M-3 "grease guns" and MP-44s for $49.95 in "new" condition. Too soon old, too late smart -- or is it too soon poor, never too rich?