Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brian Alpert

Sometimes you win....sometimes you lose...or at least don't do as well

3 posts in this topic

Remember a few months ago when a Chilean JSAR (with a 30/06 bbl) went for around $13,000 on GB.  The same seller, Rick Crosier, a well established US Martial arms dealer (recently deceased) just sold an even nicer B prefix for $6850.  Obviously his firm is still in business.  If one is to believe reports from the Indianapolis auction where they came from several years ago, this was sold at a loss.  https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872070028    Just goes to show, one never knows what will happen in an auction.

Damn, I didn't know he died.  I have bought a number of very interesting guns from him over the years and he was always a great person to do business with.  I watch his new GB.com postings every week and never noticed any change, so this is a sad surprise.

I buy a gun because it appeals to me in some way. If later, should I decide to sell, and I get more money than I paid, that is great. The value though comes from my enjoyment while I am the custodian. Still, as I said to a dealer once during price negotiations, I need to make sure my heirs are not cheated.

The Garand I bought from the DCM (not CMP) in the very early 1980s cost almost exactly 1% of what I just paid for (a pretty nice) JSAR. Each was an excellent value.