Ed Johnson

New Canfield Book - on WWII

11 posts in this topic

To all the folks who manage and utilize this site......as most of you know, Bruce Canfield recently completed "U.S. Small Arms of World War II" which is published by Mowbray in RI. It is a major work, beautifully organized and assembled with accurate footnotes (always a difficult part of the process) and with many photographs....many of which I had not seen before.

Bruce has also done very well in dealing with the Johnson products and added some very interesting updated material since the publishing of "Johnson's Rifles and Machine Guns" in 2002. He even includes the Johnson "tent peg" bayonets in a special section on WWII manual weapons. And I was proud to see the photo of Bruce firing his very rare Johnson Auto Carbine on his introduction page in the front of the book.

So, I encourage you serious collectors to obtain a copy of that book. when possible. Bruce covers a great many other weapons very thoroughly and it will safely take me the rest of the summer and most of the fall to read it all. This book is unquestionably a milestone.

Got word today that my copy has shipped! Anxiously awaiting arrival!

My copy arrived by USPS today. Whoa! This is not for light weight reading! At over 860 pages, with quality paper/binding, you do not want to drop it on your toes! I look forward to starting to read this nice addition to my library. Thanks Bruce!

P.S. Tops the scales at 2.8 kg or 6.15 lbs.!

Nice, 860 pages, you can do that tonight!   Ha ha.   Can’t wait to get mine!   

So, I made the mistake of visiting my cousin yesterday, and  showing  my new book to him. He is a WW-II buff, but one  who does not have Internet access.  He thumbed through the pages on edged weapons, shotguns, handguns, and you guessed it. He was so impressed just with what he saw and skimmed over, that he wanted a copy. As I was there with him, I offered to let him buy "my copy" and I would re-order. He jumped at it, and when I left, I left empty handed. Luckily, when I got  home, I got right online and was able to reorder. While I will have to wait a few days for 'my new copy', I know that it will be back in my hands soon. Now Bruce has made another person happy.

Can you purchase this book on Amazon  or where can you purchase it? Thank You 

Available from Authors web site or on Amazon

Also available from publisher direct if all else fails. MOWBRAY  1 800 999 4697   Cost is about $100.00 and well worth it.  ej

Just ordered mine!  Love the quick delivery from Amazon.   

I just ordered a signed copy of the new WWII book and a signed copy of the JSAR book. My son will wind up with my current copy of the JSAR book.

My books arrived two days ago, and they were both hand inscribed by Mr. Canfield. I replied to the email, that notified me my order was received, and thanked Mr. Canfield for the inscription. And he acknowledged my thanks!

Gun people are the best.