Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blueheeler

Found two stocks, a Scott and a Winfield?

4 posts in this topic

I JUST lucked into two stocks. The top one is marked JS on the butt and forend, so I assume it is one of Mr. Scott's- if so, I count myself very lucky.

The second is military profile, it has some age and wear on it and came with the recoil tube assembly intact. The rear recoil key hole is filed with a plug and it looks to have had a butt pad and not been fitted for a butt plate. So I'm thinking this may be a Winfield replacement. Thoughts?

Also, I'd like to remove the recoil tube assembly-any way to do that? Drill out the plug? Thanks for any help. And I'm planning on keeping these for now.

20200918_161725.jpg

20200918_192203.jpg

Very nice find i have one of Mr. Scott's  Johnson Stocks amazing work my rifle fit into it perfect  

Drill out the plug, then drill a 1/8"hole on the opposite side, attempting to locate the cross bolt (which is solid in Winfield Sporters).  Use a narrow pin punch to drive out the cross bolt.  If you are lucky, you will not have butchered up the access hole much larger than the screw head in a correct cross bolt.  Once the cross bolt is out, screw in the mainspring cap screw about 1/3 of the way and tap it to loosen the tube.  When it is loose, remove the mainspring cap screw and push the tube out thru the receiver end.  Take your time or you will destroy it.

As an alternative, leave the tube in, replace the cross bolt with a proper one with screws on either end, and reshape the stock, inletting for the sling swivel and butt plate.  Attached is a picture of what can be done compared with an original

DSCN2885.JPG

DSCN2887.jpg

DSCN2888.jpg

DSCN2889.jpg

Thanks Brian. My plan is to transfer the recoil tube parts over to the Scott stock. I can't remove the tube from my original stock-the cap is well and truly stuck-I think the previous owner really buggered it up somehow. If I can get the tube out of the Winfield, I'd like to pass the stock along to someone who can use it.