MarkP776

JSAR SN: 5839

7 posts in this topic

I recently acquired JSAR SN: 5839.  The rear sight appears to be original and is graduated 13579.  The bolt appears to be SN: 5153.  If possible I'd like to know if the rear sight and bolt are original to the weapon.  What other SN's should I look for?  Additionally, thoughts on whether I should try and find an original rear buttstock, front handguard, and barrel w/front sight and bayonet lug would be appreciated.  I saw a post where JS is no longer making rear butt stocks.  So while I believe that finding this JSAR in the condition/price I did is like finding a purple unicorn, I believe finding an original rear butt stock and front handguard would be like finding pink unicorn!

A buddy and I came across this weapon at a private sale.  He saw it before I did and knew what it was.  After he told me, I remembered my son who is a gun buff bent my ear for about 45 minutes one night after he saw it featured on Forgotten Weapons.    The owner had acquired it some time back from another private seller, and never fired it.  Overall the weapon is in good shape, and reading other posts on this forum I got it for a good price.

Based on the sporter buttstock, the 30.06 barrel and front sight, I believe this weapon to be one of the ones purchased from the Dutch by Winfield Arms and then modified and sold as a sporter.  It appears the shroud on the front sight is missing.

I fired it this past weekend and while it cycled well, the bolt didn't lock all the way forward so I had to manually push the operating handle down to get the bolt to fully lock so I could shoot the next round - so not really semi-automatic right now!    Based on it's condition I wouldn't doubt if the 20 rds I fired through it this weekend were the first since it left Winfield Arms.  The military handbook states that a failure to reload, w/the bolt handle "Open, handle up, part-way closed" could be caused by "a. Defective magazine spring (temporary)".  Pulling the handle for re-loading worked if I recall correctly, but as it failed to reload on every round the immediate action may be to be "b. Repair spring".  Thoughts?  Winfield Arms 1.pdf

KIMG0169.JPG

KIMG0170.JPG

KIMG0171.JPG

KIMG0156.JPG

KIMG0157.JPG

KIMG0158.JPG

KIMG0159.JPG

KIMG0160.JPG

KIMG0161.JPG

KIMG0162.JPG

1941-Johnson-Custom-Sporter-by-Winfield-Arms_100963526_57549_D3E1921320C9CC17.jpg

Welcome to the site, I like reading stories about people’s new JSAR’s.  Good looking find you have.  I also have a bolt with unusual large stamped serial numbers on it, and have not heard or read anything about why it is different. The rear site on yours with the yellowed numbered sight graduations are more common on the “B” series JSAR’s in my experience and some JSAR’s I have, but I can’t say positively they only came on the “B” series. 

It will be interesting to see what the fix is for your action cycling issue.  I kind of think there is some bolt to barrel spacing issues and the way they interlock with each other.   I’m curious what ammo and bullet weight you were using. 

Art would be the one to contact about factory serial numbers and locations.   

Wish you well for you and your new treasure.  

I was shooting standard .30-06 Greek HXP 150 grain M2 ball ammunition.  The action had no problem cycling rearward, ejecting the round and coming back forward it just seems to drag at the very end and the operating handle doesn't fully lock down, so maybe it is a weak spring.  I will say there was some scarring on the brass, but my buddy who reloads says that will come out with the resizing die.

If the rifle is extracting ok, I would look at the rear of the bolt lugs for deformation burrs.  I have seen several that the lugs had rear burrs that dragged upon closing.  If you find any, use a jeweler's file and smooth them.  I have seen such inside the locking collar but that is rare. Also clean the main spring of any grease and use oil.  Same with bolt and rollers.  If bolt still drags, problem may be inside collar.  remove link from main spring and try closing bolt, gently pull bolt rearward and feel for drag.  It is possible, but unlikely, that you have minimum head-space.  I have seen that once.  Bolt is designed to go forward fast.

Here is the production log data on your rifle:

SN. 5839

Manf by or Rec'd From Cranston Arms  01/27/1942

Stock No. 2

Barrel No. 7218E

Hammer Block No. 6192

Hammer No. 8152

Bolt No. 5153

Locking Cam No. 6017

Firing Pin No. 6665

Ejector No. 2931

Magazine No. 8736

Disposition Date 01/29/42 to J.A. Inc -NPC

Quoting MarkP776: "I will say there was some scarring on the brass, but my buddy who reloads says that will come out with the resizing die. "

Have you checked and cleaned the chamber? If the chamber is dirty or there are burrs in the chamber, this can also cause a failure to feed, Take several pieces of the brass that you fired, and do a forensic check. If the 'scarring' is similar on each piece, I might suspect a chamber problem.