MarkP776

Removing the bolt on SN: 5839?

7 posts in this topic

A question as I'm trying to remove and disassemble the bolt group on SN: 5839.  What to do if the operating handle spindle will not pull out?

I've removed the bolt stop plate, bolt stop and disengaged the link from the main spring plunger.

The manual states:  "d. Raise the operating handle and retract the bolt about two inches. With the thumb and forefinger of the right hand, grasp the knob of the operating handle spindle and pull it outward to its fullest extent. Slide the operating handle forward until it is clear of the shoulders in the extractor recess and remove it. Lift out the extractor.  NOTE: The operating handle should be regarded as a single part, but should it be necessary to disassemble it, merely unscrew the operating handle nut and allow the plunger and plunger spring to fall into the hand".

I cannot get the operating spindle to budge.  Reading the instructions it seems to be a relatively easy process, but it will not move.  Suggestions?  Unscrew the operating handle nut (Which I assume is the piece with the nipple and two holes?) and see if I can lossen things up? 

If the op handle spindle will not budge, squirt in some penetrating oil, leave it for several hours, tap and twist it to get it free. It is not the spindle which engages the bolt body but the notched pin.   If you need new internal parts, I have them

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

OK, thank you.  That helped, I was pulling on the big knob, not the little pin.  I was able to fully disassemble the rifle, with the exception of removing the front handguard and magazine.  I couldn't loosen the front screw on the handguard.

I did confirm that most of the SN's match what was provided in the production log:

SN. 5839

Manf by or Rec'd From Cranston Arms  01/27/1942

Stock No. 2

Barrel No. 7218E

Hammer Block No. 6192

Hammer No. 8152

Bolt No. 5153

Locking Cam No. 6017

Firing Pin No. 6665

Ejector No. 2931 I couldn't find a SN on the Ejector, but the Extractor is B6851

Magazine No. 8736

Disposition Date 01/29/42 to J.A. Inc -NPC

It also has the star above the Cranston Arms logo on the right rear side of the receiver.

So, I believe that given the SN, the Winfield Arms stock and relatively new looking 30.06 barrel with no SN this weapon is one that was "sporterized" by Winfield Arms (What were our grandfathers thinking!).

I some crud out of the ejector when I removed it from the receiver.  Reassembled the bolt seems smoother going forward so maybe that had something to do with why it wouldn't fire semi-auto at the range.  Now that I've figured out it comes apart and goes back together without extra parts left behind :-) , I'll pull it back apart soon and give it a good cleaning before I head to the range again.  Maybe I'll be able to get the front handguard off next time.

Hi MarkP776

As you might be aware, you have an exceptional rifle, with 7 of the 9 part SN's matching the production logs. That is definitely a keeper! I recently sent you a PM to consider.

ArtR

ArtR, yes definitely a keeper.  As I stated in my original post I had never heard of the Johnson until my son told me about it, he is quite the gun buff.  After our discussion I hadn't given it much thought until I stumbled across SN5839 for sale privately.  I've cleaned it up, and heading to the range again tomorrow to see if I can figure out why it's only a single shot vs. semi-auto right now.  My buddy thinks its the main spring, but the manual says it could be the magazine spring, and feedback on the forum gives advice on the bolt/extractor.  So we'll see what I can work out.  Whatever the case, this weapon is now a family heirloom and will never be sold.  Once I get it back to being a semiauto vs a single shot, the next thing to determine is: Do I leave it as is?  Pretty sure it's a true Winfield sporter because it has the sporter buttstock and front handguard - I wonder if any records exist of the guns Winfield modified and sold?  Looking at other pictures, the right side of the front handguard has a curved notch in the top corner by the magazine.  My front handguard doesn't have the notch, so I assume this is a sporter replacement handguard by Winfield?  So as I said, do I leave as is or look for four pink unicorns (Original buttstock, butt plate, front handguard and a production barrel)?  

Hi Mark

If you remove and measure the length of the mainspring, a fairly simple process,  it will tell you if there might be a problem. If the mainspring is shorter than 12", I believe you might have a problem, but others more qualified may chime in. I believe new mainsprings are available, and not too badly priced.