Cole44

1941 Johnson For sale

31 posts in this topic

Good Morning,

I am in the marked for a 1941 Johnson and came across this example on one of the auction sites today. I am not an expert, still learning, but would like to ask for some feedback. The asking price is above 8K. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank You all in advance.  

pix022088373.jpg

pix135042652.jpg

pix683923021.jpg

pix820469862.jpg

Out of curiosity, what web site did you see this rifle? I am just tracking 'sightings'.

Its on Gun Broker. I think it will be there for a bit based on the price (9500). I can't tell for sure but it look like its been re-finished to me.  

Butt stock is definitely of question, due to fitment at/near magazine. Either a total replacement, or it was heavily sanded/contoured to current shape.

There are members of this site that have had in the past and may now have some jsars for sale. Just a thought if your looking.

I’ve my Johnson 41 on GB right now $6500.00 has a Denmark marked barrel and the top part of the resignations is a repo 

Hi Cole 44,

I posted photos of my Johnson as you requested.  I haven't listed it on an auction site.  I don't believe my rifle has been touched. The photos show a very nice rifle, but it has signs of wear, consistent with a 80-year old firearm.  You can check the serial numbers on parts, consistent with manufacturing record, also posted.  I'd love to get $9500 for mine, but I honestly don't think that's a fair market price.  Give me a holler if you want to discuss.  

Thanks, JRSIII50

1 hour ago, jrsiii50 said:

I'd love to get $9500 for mine, but I honestly don't think that's a fair market price.  Give me a holler if you want to discuss.  

Thanks, JRSIII50

Actually that is quite optimistic. Even in todays market. For $9,500 it should be almost mint, unissued condition.

Oh, and Cole44, that rifle (B4038) sold for far less than $9,500.

I agree with EB in Oregon.  Johnson rifles are expensive, and the cost is based on their rarity -- 70K in a year or so versus 5.46 million over nearly 25 years.  Still, the upper end on a Johnson should be $7.5K for a mint rifle.  I'm unsure if any such thing actually exists, unless it's refabricated.  Based on completeness and quality, I'd say market price is $4.5K to $6.5K or so.

Best, JRSIII50

10 minutes ago, jrsiii50 said:

I agree with EB in Oregon.  Johnson rifles are expensive, and the cost is based on their rarity -- 70K in a year or so versus 5.46 million over nearly 25 years.  Still, the upper end on a Johnson should be $7.5K for a mint rifle.  I'm unsure if any such thing actually exists, unless it's refabricated.  Based on completeness and quality, I'd say market price is $4.5K to $6.5K or so.

Best, JRSIII50

Now, now, don't be hasty. I said $9,500 for a JSAR of most kinds is optimistic, unless almost mint. I've been watching those rifles a bit in the last year or so. The deal is, there are no perfect JSAR's around, or they are rare. Records no longer exist for most of them. That I've seen or available to the general public. 1941 JSAR's are rare, and of great expense. I've seen them sell for about $6,500 (for a superb professional restoration) to about $8,500 for an exceptional JSAR.

Hi JRSIII50,

Thanks for providing the photos. I have a minty B block that I recently purchased (within the last year) that I paid in the low to mid 6K range for. Although its a very nice rifle 9k is outside of a price point I would even consider at this time. Thanks for your time and best of luck.   

BTW - This is an older thread from back in Dec. The more recent thread is called "M1941 Serial No. 3360". I reached out to JRS11150 to inquire about his non prefixed JSAR. In that thread you will find the photos he shared. Not a big deal but I figured I would connect the dots. :) Thanks everybody. 

17 hours ago, jrsiii50 said:

Best, JRSIII50

Actually M1941 Johnsons are less common than that. Just over 21,000 were made.

Interesting.  In fact, I thought your number was about right, but from what I read, it looked like others were produced, maybe under license.  

There has been former topics about the quantity of JSAR’s made.  A forum member had B8959 at one time, it appears that nearly 29,900 were produced,  the older comments indicated that it’s unlikely they were produced out of order. 

I did want to mention that out of all my research on JSAR’s, I’ve never read anything about them being produced under license, to me, that means a knock off copy.  Any clarification would be welcomed.

Yes, if you look at the "B8959" receiver, there could well have been nearly 29,900 receivers produced, but that does not prove the rifles made it to final assembly. If the "non-prefix" production logs are considered, there was not any sequential assembly method within the Johnson plant. Also, considering the "non-prefix" records, as no sequential method was used, there were many 'unrecorded' receivers that were not assembled at the plant. Parts that were later acquired by Winfield, and others, that were assembled into complete rifles were probably never recorded, thus we do not know how many of those rifles may exist.

Hello, I have an M1941 Johnson serial # B7496 that I bought from a gun store in the 1970s. I am considering taking it to the Wanenmacher's gun show in Tulsa this Saturday to sell. I don't really want to sell any of my gun collection but at 72 years of age I have to be realistic. Although any relatives that might deal with my estate are pro-gun, they don't have a clue of the value of most that I have. I need cash right now so figure the Johnson stands the best chance of bringing more 'bucks for the bang'. From the discussion on this topic, it sounds like $5000.00 would be a reasonable asking price. I am including an original bayonet and sheath that I purchased shortly after buying the rifle. Those things were not hard to find in the 70s. I would appreciate any opinions on my planned price. Thank you. 

Pictures would be nice, I would like to see condition and the stampings on the receiver and barrel. Post pictures or email to camstuff@yahoo.com.

The total production of 21,988  M1941 Johnson rifles is not an estimate but was reflected in the exhaustive government document "The Official Munitions Production of the United States, By Months July 1, 1940 - August 32, 1945."  There is no indication any Johnson rifles were put into production by any entity other than Johnson Automatics, Inc.  

Photos of my rifle that I hope are attached. I am not well versed in this computer stuff. I purchased it from Martin B. Rettings in Culver City, CA in the early 70s(I am still looking for the original receipt). I have put about 200 rounds through it including the 60 rounds in "competition" to get a DCM Garand. The bayonet I bought shortly after the rifle. If I own a rifle that takes a bayonet, I like to have the proper bayonet for it. Of course sometimes in my life, I would buy a bayonet and then declare that now I had to get the rifle to go with it. I checked under the butt plate and there were no spare parts. I did order the specified parts from Numrich and put them behind the plate. At least I think I did. I will check before I take it to the gun show tomorrow(this getting old is for young people!). Any comments on the rifle and/or my asking price will be appreciated 

1941right.jpg

1941left.jpg

1941markings.jpg

1941action.jpg

1941Cranston.jpg

1941bblbottom.jpg

bayonet1.jpg

While your post does list photos, they are of low quality and hard to get a good feel for the condition of the rifle.

Going to a large gunshow with a JSAR is bound to get attention. Also, the $5000 asking price will also get attention, considering many questionable rifles have been seen on this forum listed for much higher prices.

I do apologize for the for the poor quality of the photos. If I still have the rifle after the show, I will try to make some better pictures to list. The price I am using is just a 'guesstimate' based on what I have seen here and other places. Bargaining has to start somewhere since some people seem to enjoy it so much. It is certainly more than the few hundred dollars I paid for it in the early 1970s. I have a "bottom dollar" figure in mind and will not sell it below that. In some bargaining situations some people have asked: "what if you don't sell it?". I just reply: "I get to keep it". 

DArbeit

If your rifle is in good shape, I.E., the stock is solid, no cracks, and has reasonably few ding/dents; if the metal is complete, and no rust or pitting; and the barrel is clean with good rifling, I might suggest that you start with maybe $6000 as your bargain price. If the bayonet and scabbard are original, that would add a minimum of $500 to the price. The sling is just a nice thing, unless an original WWII item.  While you paid just a few hundred in the 70's, today that price is unheard of. $5000 would be a great bargain for a really nice JSAR. 

Well, I barely made it in the door at the show when I got an offer that I accepted. One of my concerns in selling the rifle was finding a buyer that appreciated what they were getting. I sold it for $3000. I guess I gave him a heck of a deal but he paid cash so maybe I was blinded by the green. I am happy with the deal and gave him several printouts from this site so hopefully he will show up here and be a contributor. Thanks for the input on my rifle. The important thing to me is that I had it for 50+ years and enjoyed it and preserved a little bit of arms history. I think it is a great design and should have had a chance to make a greater impact on WWII.