Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eb in oregon

NRA video

5 posts in this topic

I like to watch this every now and then, it's a fine video and a nice synopsis of the 5.7MMJ / 5.7 Johnson. I really don't understand why it hasn't been more popular, possibly because the later versions weren't as quality a product as Johnson's rifles. However I love my original Johnson, and won't part with my IAI carbine either as it works good enough. It's a shame someone doesn't try it again, but with a top quality product.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/2/17/video-57-mm-johnson-spitfire-carbine/

EB,

NRA - AR has done a good job, along with Bruce Canfield as a Field Editor, of occasionally showing Johnson programs, including the Spitfire.

We took a very conservative approach at Johnson Arms in 1964, after Dad had some problems initially, and operated on a low budget, just using surplus military components plus new stocks, sights and receivers, plus gun-smith labor and blueing to assemble only approximately 200 "new" carbines. We initially hand-loaded ammunition while also experimenting with automatic ammunition machinery, which never came to fruition, unfortunately.

Dad died at the start of all this in 1965, after establishing the design and publicity, but we continued the project into actual production into '66, even though the guns cost more to build than their selling prices. We did not wish to invest large sums of money to establish our own plant (which is the only way we would ever make a profit) if the customer interest would not warrant such an effort. We had an investment partner who felt the same way.

We were not satisfied with the market response by 1967. We did have competitors who were already in the Carbine business selling at lower prices, but they didn't continue. The lack of a full scale ammunition source was a hindrance. Customers were not that interested in getting their GI carbines converted, either. So we closed by 1967.

I'm not clear on who is producing 5.7 ammo at this point.

There are two current manufacturers of .30 cal. M1 Carbines. One is Inland in the mid-west and there is Kahr in the Northeast. Neither has shown any interest in the 5.7 product. They would be the logical companies to produce in volume. My guess is that they might not see enough volume potential.

I'd still like to see someone succeed with the product, as you indicate.

Ed, trust me, I know all about trying to supply a product on a shoestring and having that shoe string break. Be pleased that while your father Melvin Johnson hasn't been as appreciated as he should have been his contributions to the world of firearms was not insignificant. His rifle, light machine gun, and "Spitfire" cartridge were and are valuable and significant contributions. And while I've been watching those 1941 Johnson's on Gunbroker I'll have a hard time trying to sneak one in the house. And last year (maybe the year before) a guy was selling one of Melvin's light machine guns with a pack of magazines. I considered wiping out my retirement account to buy that.

Ed, you have nothing to feel sorry about, you and your dad took your best shot while people didn't understand what they were missing. I sir salute your father's work and your efforts to preserve his legacy.

Hey EB, 

you would not be wiping out your retirement to pick up an lmg, you would be diversifing your retirement. Well that’s what I called it anyway.

phil

On 3/20/2021 at 10:11 AM, matconcrete said:

Hey EB, 

you would not be wiping out your retirement to pick up an lmg, you would be diversifing your retirement. Well that’s what I called it anyway.

phil

I agree, but at the time I just couldn't scratch that itch. I would today, not then as it didn't seem to be needed as it might be today.