Dutch2

Desportorizing my Winfield

8 posts in this topic

Here is the progress I made bringing my Winfield back to its more or less original appearance.

First locating the position of the cross bolt in the butt stock, took a lot of careful measuring, but managed to do it without buggering it up., carefully drilling out the plug  on the right side and drilling the hole on the left side, driving the square key out and making a new one and threading it was a bit time consuming.

Next I bought a butt plate and  front sight from Sarco, had a rear sling swivel  already, with a router carefully made the slot for the upper tang of the butt plate and the slot for the rear sling swivel, had to trim the butt plate a little since the Winfield stock is thinner than the original butt stock, but it looks not too bad.

In the front handguard again I used the router to make the slot for the front cross bolt (cross bolt purchased from Numrich), fabricated the little spring clip to secure the cross pin in place, so all that is left now is finding a bayonet lug, machine the Winfield barrel after taking that front sight off and installing the front sight and the bayonet lug, hope to find one in the not to distant future.

With the original front cross pin it sure makes it easy to remove the magazine as opposed to the drive in front pin that Winfield used.

So far it's been a very rewarding project, and its a great rifle to shoot, it has the 30-06 barrel but someone in the past had a 7.62x51 barrel made for it as well, it works great with both.

DSCN1563.JPG

DSCN1564.JPG

DSCN1565.JPG

DSCN1562.JPG

Hi Dutch

Your project is going quite well and looks good. The only glaring thing missing is the bayonet lug. Any luck on that front?

No luck so far on the bayonet lug, didn't mr. Joseph Scott have some made a year or so ago? 

Sarco did have bayonet lugs. I bought 2 several years ago at $40.00 each. I also had a local gunsmith turn the barrel on a lathe properly and slot the tapered grooves for the tapered pins. The gunsmith did a nice job, he is in Pa.

I have been looking all over,Sarco , Numrich even ebay,no luck.

Maybe i get ambitious one day and make one myself.

Thanks for the tip,unfortunately they don't export.