Brian Alpert

Miltech JSAR

6 posts in this topic

Yes, I was following that one as well, I also suspected it was a miltech, 

Brian and others

Ever wonder where Miltech gets their stocks? Makes one wonder if they might be a potential source for 'replacement' stocks, if one were so inclined?

And a not so perfect specimen with a buy it now price of $8600?

Art: I actually called and talked to miltech a few years ago about trying to find a stock and some small parts.  The conversation seemed hopeful at first, but ended up with them wanting to inspect my JSAR and installing the parts themselves. 

39 minutes ago, camstuff said:

Art: I actually called and talked to miltech a few years ago about trying to find a stock and some small parts.  The conversation seemed hopeful at first, but ended up with them wanting to inspect my JSAR and installing the parts themselves. 

I once had a 1903 Springfield rebuilt by Miltech. It was seriously messed up and I couldn't weld up the holes in the receiver. They did a fabulous job. It was a brand new 1903 Springfield. They were able to re-stamp the characters on the receiver that had been removed by the drilling of holes and you could only see that they had done so in just the right light and angle.

Miltech makes it's money by restoring firearms that are seriously messed up. While the issue that they could maybe make some more money selling parts is a question. But one doesn't know how good their stock is, so maybe they don't have enough stock to do retail parts. I don't know.

But I'd bet money that JSAR that sold on GunBroker was a Miltech piece, and though not "original" it's as good as.

Yeah, I had that pegged as a Miltech when I posted it as a new item back on Feb 18. Miltech has always done an excellent restoration job. While they look too new when done, they are all professionally and correctly done. Their stocks are excellent. I have seen and handled several for  1903 thru 1941. Nice wood.  Just will never have the look or feel of WWII original. Sure, they would like to 'rebuild' your piece and put new wood on it, but after you have already put several serious $$ into a JSAR, and today even 1903, 1917, M1's are working their way to the ionosphere, I do not think giving them more $$ to make it look new would add any value. Last time that I looked, (2017) Miltech price for 1941 rework as $1995 on one page but price for a complete gun listed as "Pricing quoted on request", so that would make me think twice about even considering doing a rebuild.  I would direct folks to a post that Brian Alpert posted a few years ago. He makes a valid point in it which is probably still good today.