Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
matconcrete

5.7 spitfire quest

5 posts in this topic

Is an original Johnson Spitfire the most elusive of MMJs creations? Been searching for some time,found...0, Is there accurate record of how many are in circulation? Thanks,Phil

I don't think more than a few hundred were made at best. In another thread Ed wrote "We took a very conservative approach at Johnson Arms in 1964, after Dad had some problems initially, and operated on a low budget, just using surplus military components plus new stocks, sights and receivers, plus gun-smith labor and blueing to assemble only approximately 200 "new" carbines."

An original Johnson "Spitfire" is a pretty rare beast. It took me better than 30 years searching to finally get my hands on one. And through the years I don't recall seeing more than two at any gun show or otherwise available for sale. One deluxe model (seen years ago and more than I could afford at the time and the cheek swell wasn't good for a left hander) and the one I finally found and bought. I've an IAI Carbine also, it's a little rougher than the Johnson and doesn't like open tip match bullets, but shoots well enough with semi spitzers. 

5.7.jpeg

Been watching the IAI on gb, seems quite pricey for what it is, but who knows.

5 hours ago, matconcrete said:

Been watching the IAI on gb, seems quite pricey for what it is, but who knows.

I wrote those guys and told them they were more than a little optimistic but I'm quite positive I made no impression. I mean the guy who wrote the details seems to have no clue to what they actually have "a very unique little rifle that is relatively inexpensive to shoot compared to the 30 caliber." Seems to think it's a .22 LR or something as there is little difference between 5.7MMJ and .30 Carbine in expense.

Thats along the line of what I was thinking, thanks