Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mustang1

New Member with First M1941

8 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I am a new member and have recently obtained this rifle. Comments welcome, but I have a question, my fore-end stock appears to have some type of dowel rod near the front screw whereas I don't see that on others. Is this correct? Thanks

IMG_5759.jpg

IMG_5760.jpg

IMG_5774.jpg

IMG_5756.jpg

More photos.

IMG_5740 - Copy.jpg

IMG_5743.jpg

IMG_5744.jpg

IMG_5746.jpg

IMG_5758.jpg

IMG_5738.jpg

IMG_5737.jpg

More photos 3

IMG_5742.jpg

IMG_5749.jpg

IMG_5751.jpg

IMG_5754.jpg

IMG_5755.jpg

IMG_5753.jpg

IMG_5766.jpg

Nice looking JSAR.  Everything looks correct and in 95%+ condition.  The dowel in the forearm looks like a repair of a crack.  You can see what looks like a vice mark on the wood where it could have been clamped.  Dowel repairs are unusual.  I have seen "biscuit" repairs on a couple of JSARs.

I agree with Brian that the dowel is to repair a crack. Once upon a time wooden dowel's were a standard arsenal repair for US weapons (and virtually any arsenal in the world) for certain types of cracks. I do not agree that those are vice marks near the repair but instead "fair wear and tear."

Welcome to the site, nice looking 41, bayonet may be a repro, no harm if it is ,I’m no expert but the best of the best are members here. Phil

Mustang1,

Hello, I am a new member and I have a 1941 Johnson with the same wooden dowel repair in the fore-end stock that you show in your pictures.  Since we know there are at least two of them associated with this site's members we can probably assume that this was a standard military repair used at the time.

R,

EODCOL

Butt stock has a #3 stamped in the wood, type 3?...fore stock, is there a similar 'vise' or 'clamp'  mark on the other side? That might confirm something, regarding repairs. Overall, a very nice specimen. I do not remember ever seeing a dowel repair used by an armory, but that is not to say it could not be done. Most armory repairs that I have come across have been biscuit repairs, and some very neat and precise inlay repairs.

As for Bayonet, if you have not already,  check out this link and this one

Mustang1: check PM in top right corner for message.

ArtR

I stand corrected. I  found a photo of a  DCM/CMP 1903 Remington stock repair that has both biscuit and dowel armory repairs to the fore stock. So, would 1941 JSAR's receive armory repairs? Maybe?

IMG_0472a.jpg