flyer338

High Prices Bring JSARs Out of Collectors’ Closets

72 posts in this topic

If anyone here wins this two BBL auction and would like to trade one for a 30.06 send me a message

The single barrel with pits and wear brought over 1600

17 hours ago, matconcrete said:

The single barrel with pits and wear brought over 1600

If someone wants to pay that much for a barrel, I might just have to sell a spare or two

I informed the seller that both were probably 7mm because the Chilean barrel collars were often marked 30-06

and the seller thought that this was the caliber mark. I advised him to measure the groove diameter. 

Jsar 4487 on gb already over $8000. Looks legit bolt # is 6274, barrel is #0278A, I’d like to find as close to original as possible.

I still wake up sobbing over not bringing A0000 home.

On 10/24/2021 at 10:51 AM, flyer338 said:

At the opposite end of the spectrum is this rifle B4288 listed by Rock Island Auction Company with an expected top bid of $13,000. The stock looks like a lacquer finish has been applied over the original oil.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/84/1583/us-johnson-model-1941-semiautomatic-rifle

probably a winfield deluxe?   i have one just like it.

Yep, this one has been up before.  The same seller as well.  I had contacted them maybe a couple of years ago out of curiosity and asked to see the barrel markings and something else.  They declined to take it apart. They said they could contact the previous owner if I had any questions. 

On 12/11/2021 at 11:13 AM, flyer338 said:

JSAR 5955 showed up on Gunbroker today. It looks like a high condition Winfield Sporter. The rifle is in Alaska, so the shipping is high. The opening bid of $3499 has already been made. The only defect I see is the recoil pad is cracked.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/918436351

Interesting as 5955 is on GunBroker right now up for auction. The rifle appears re-furbished with a replacement stock and the bidding is still under $3,000 with about 24 hours left. I was considering it as the cost is still more than reasonable, but now I'm seriously considering the history of that rifle as well as functionality.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/927069448

I’m sure they hope to get good money for it, as it went for over $7000. Last time ,And they fixed or replaced the bbl and stock!

Phil

Definitely the stock (Grain/cheeks) and possibly barrel (front sight/bayo lug)

My brother, David, is watching #5955 and we are expecting it to go much higher and out of his reach. He really wants a Johnson but is unwilling to pay $8000.00 to $17,250.00 :wub:

That rifle #5955 sure has an interesting past of stock changes, barrel changes, parkerizing, etc. It will be interesting to see what the final price is.

Then #4288 which sold at auction last December, for $17,250.00 plus auction fees and shipping.

I have "several" nice Johnsons and would probably sell any of them for $8000.00 plus shipping. I have a couple of dozen Johnson bayonets to sell also at $600.00 each.

Maybe it's time to contact an auction house?:rolleyes:

Sounds to me like you and your brother have been watching both auctions and this site and are fully aware of both what is available and current pricing. Maybe you can come to terms and sell one of yours. At least he would know the source and gun before purchase.

2 hours ago, M48TANKER said:

My brother, David, is watching #5955 and we are expecting it to go much higher and out of his reach. He really wants a Johnson but is unwilling to pay $8000.00 to $17,250.00 :wub:

That rifle #5955 sure has an interesting past of stock changes, barrel changes, parkerizing, etc. It will be interesting to see what the final price is.

Then #4288 which sold at auction last December, for $17,250.00 plus auction fees and shipping.

I have "several" nice Johnsons and would probably sell any of them for $8000.00 plus shipping. I have a couple of dozen Johnson bayonets to sell also at $600.00 each.

Maybe it's time to contact an auction house?:rolleyes:

I missed that 4288, I wonder if it had some documented history behind it. That is just crazy price.  I just saw a bayonet sell on EBay for $600. So your right in line with this weeks prices.  Who knows what will happen next week.  

Bear in mind that auction house keep aprox. 20% -30% of the sale price as well as add whatever there premium is.

Phil 

#5955 on Gun Broker interestingly has the number "55" stamped into the back of the bolt, as seen in picture number 12. I doubt that this was done at the factory.

4 hours ago, M48TANKER said:

Boy howdy.

Well, it sure looks like there has been lots of interest in this rifle. I put a low bid on it just to follow it but I know some members of this forum are interested and hope to get it for a fair price. 50 bids, wow!  $7,000 seems fair for a Johnson rifle even if it is a mix of various parts. It sure looks nice and hopefully will shoot well. Good luck to the bidders!

SN 5955 which sold on GB back on March 19 for  $6935 just sold on 9/4/22 for 7916.05