Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kennym

Serial Number Information

16 posts in this topic

I seen a johnson rifle for the first time at a show and wanted to know more about it as i am interested in purchasing it. the sn# is 4364. I wanted to see if some of the numbers are matching.

The following information from the production logs:

Receiver SN 4364, Date Received 1/8/1942, Stock No. N/A Barrel No. 8902E, Hammer Block No. 2250, Hammer No. 7048, Bolt No.  5419, Locking Cam No. 5052, Firing Pin No. 8762,  Extractor No. 3996,  Magazine No. 43536, Disposition Date 1/8/1942, Transferred to J.A. Inc - N.P.C

Please note: The Magazine No. is a bit suspicious. While it reads as noted, that does not follow normal numbering protocol. Someone may have misread the 'card'. It is possible that it was either H or A 3536 or 4353 C or G. We may never no for sure.

By the way, welcome to the site, and good luck with your possible purchase.

So i have a deal set up if i want to thatr includes this rifle and an original bayonet and sheath (still waiting on those pictures though, My post is pic heavy for sure. I was told that everything is original (not original serial numbers but original military parts with original finish. I have the oppurtunity to purcahse it at 6500 which seems pretty fair in this market. I am also waiting for the markings on the barrel which the seller said is original and in great condition. Is it normal for there to be a serial number on the handguard? I never really thought id be able to be in the market for one of these things due to the cost, any information is greatly appreciated. 

20210723_104952.jpg

20210723_104955.jpg

20210723_104959.jpg

20210723_105002.jpg

20210723_105007.jpg

20210723_105017.jpg

Stocks are not 'serialized', though some did have what is assumed to be a "Revision" number, that is why Stock No. is  shown and is often "N/A". There may have been  instances where someone stamped the rifle SN into the stock, but that was not done at the factory.

So i just received these two pictures of what the seller thought was a 30-06 barrel but it I believe its a 7mm barrel. What does this do to the value of the rifle? Would finding a 30-06 barrel be near impossible? Could the barrel it has on it be swapped for a 30-06? any help is greatly appreciated as i am clearly out of my element. Shouldnt the chilean examples be transferred to chile on the serial number? I am sorry I am asking so many questions. Im just way out of my league here and want to make sure i make a smart purchase.

649117882.jpg

649117971.jpg

Should not change the value of the rifle, and if you have checked by a competent gunsmith, should be a good shooter, if the barrel is not too dark. If you should find a .30-6 barrel, you would just swap it out, and again, have it checked by a competent gunsmith.Rifle was imported by Navy Arms, markings are not unusual

18 minutes ago, ArtR said:

Should not change the value of the rifle, and if you have checked by a competent gunsmith, should be a good shooter, if the barrel is not too dark. If you should find a .30-6 barrel, you would just swap it out, and again, have it checked by a competent gunsmith.Rifle was imported by Navy Arms, markings are not unusual

Thank you, Art. Finding a 30-06 barrel that is original is probably no easy task and would swapping make sense for someone? Ive been told that the barrel is in really great condition. 

I've noticed that the front take down pin and retaining clip are missing

1 hour ago, Dutch2 said:

I've noticed that the front take down pin and retaining clip are missing

is that the pieces that allow the barrel to be taken off? Sorry Im still very new to this. 

No, it's the pin that holds the front of the magazine to the action.

It is very much like the rear cross pin,has a tab on it that slips under locking spring to keep it from falling out,both items should be visible in the wood-cut out in front of the magazine,

11 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

No, it's the pin that holds the front of the magazine to the action.

It is very much like the rear cross pin,has a tab on it that slips under locking spring to keep it from falling out,both items should be visible in the wood-cut out in front of the magazine,

i see. Thank you so much for that information as I am new and have to factor this into my purchase. It seems like finding an original 30-06 is going to be difficult and im not sure how much the missing parts will also cost aswell as having a gunsmith check it over as well whhen swapping the barrel. It might be a bit over my budget. Still mulling it over though. 

For my two cents: A JSAR, in either .30-06 or 7MM, is still a JSAR. Maybe yours may not be one originally made as a 7MM, but it is still a nice piece, and if checked out, can be an excellent shooter. Some parts are easier to find than others, but if one is patient, they can be found. If you are still looking to purchase one, maybe you can figure the costs of finding/replacing missing parts.  Missing cross pins can be found from time to time, or if industrious, one could be made.

7mm JSARS, particularly if they were not originally Chilean go for less than original 30/06 rifles.  BBls are interchangeable if you can find one.....generally $1200 and up for an original 30/06.  That being said, that is not a $6500 rifle.  More likely under $5000

5 hours ago, Brian Alpert said:

7mm JSARS, particularly if they were not originally Chilean go for less than original 30/06 rifles.  BBls are interchangeable if you can find one.....generally $1200 and up for an original 30/06.  That being said, that is not a $6500 rifle.  More likely under $5000

Really? See I dont know much about these rifles but from seeing the sales on gunbroker, it seemed like $6,500 was a fair market value if assuming it had all of the parts and were a 30-06. I only have gunbroker to go off of though. This rifle does come with an original bayonet and scabbard as well. I guess i need to do some more research though and get the values right. I definitely dont want to lose 1,500$ on it

Trust Brian on this one. If it is as you state, and has an IMPORT MARKED 7mm barrel, Brian is probably right. Yes, someone may pay $6500 for it, but if they have not done their homework? That is why you are on this site. Now, if the seller is selling with both 7mm and .30-06 barrel, then it may well be worth it. Trust your gut.