Ddivinia

Serial info for 5049

12 posts in this topic

Just bought 5049 via gun broker.  I hope I got a good one...  Yeah, I know - should haver verified it all up front.  

Will know mor

Is 5049 in the ledger?

Thanks,
D

I am likely the least expert person on this forum. I looked carefully at the rifle you bought. If I had not already purchased a JSAR, I would have bid on the rifle you bought.

I think you got a nice rifle at a price that makes it a very good value.

If you do not already own a copy of Canfield and Johnson’s book (both authors contribute to this forum), you should get one. I went through Bruce Canfield’s website and he autographed my copy at no extra cost. A great bonus in my view.

1 hour ago, flyer338 said:

Canfield and Johnson’s book

Cool deal.  I have been watching gunbroker for a while.  No other bids until the last minute.  I started worrying that all the experts see issues with this rifle.  

I bought a copy of that book.  It is boxed up right now while we are moving. I may have to go dig thru some boxes to find it.  That may take months.   

Thanks,

D.

The following information from the production logs:

Receiver SN 5049, Received From: Cranston Arms, Date Received 1/26/1942, Stock No. 2 Barrel No. 9148E, Hammer Block No. 6477, Hammer No. 7309, Bolt No.  6085, Locking Cam No. 5273, Firing Pin No. 6950,  Extractor No. 3434,  Magazine No. A3062, Disposition Date 1/28/1942, Transferred to J.A. Inc - N.P.C

Congrats, I was the other bidder.  I think you did well and am glad you are here.  

41 minutes ago, Rarecat said:

Congrats, I was the other bidder.  I think you did well and am glad you are here.  

Thanks for not running it up too bad!

Thanks,

D.

1 hour ago, ArtR said:

The following information from the production logs:

Receiver SN 5049, Received From: Cranston Arms, Date Received 1/26/1942, Stock No. 2 Barrel No. 9148E, Hammer Block No. 6477, Hammer No. 7309, Bolt No.  6085, Locking Cam No. 5273, Firing Pin No. 6950,  Extractor No. 3434,  Magazine No. A3062, Disposition Date 1/28/1942, Transferred to J.A. Inc - N.P.C

Thanks for the info.  We will see what all matches if any.  

Thanks,

D.

If you look at the contour of the buttstock and the fitting of the buttplate...which has an extra screw, it is fairly obvious that this is a Winfield standard sporter which has been partially remilitarized.  The metal looks good.  Hope it is an original bbl.

3 hours ago, Brian Alpert said:

If you look at the contour of the buttstock and the fitting of the buttplate...which has an extra screw, it is fairly obvious that this is a Winfield standard sporter which has been partially remilitarized.  The metal looks good.  Hope it is an original bbl.

I was wondering about that extra screw....   Also, how the stock fit on the rear of the receiver.  

I may have bought a shooter.  

We will see how it looks in person.

I'll need some help sorting thru it when it gets here.  

Thanks,

D.

23 hours ago, Brian Alpert said:

I pulled up pics of the winfield spotter stock and I am not are it is one of those.  The angle on the pistol grip looks like an original.  

Looks like most of the Winfields had the bayonet lug removed.   

Maybe it is the military version that they offered?

D.

The bottom stock is a winfield military profile, the top is a JS repro stock, you can see the difference between a winfield and an original, particularly around the grip.

20200918_161725.jpg

39 minutes ago, Ddivinia said:

Good info - ok, looks like the one I bought has a winfield military style stock.  

What about the hole behind the pistol grip?  Do they drill those afterwards?  

Here is a link to the rifle I bought.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/906747806

Thanks,
D.

The holes are for the recoil spring tube stop, winfield generally plugged them as seen on mine. The stock shown originally had a recoil pad, so the butt height is greater than an original  -I suspect yours might have been reshaped a bit so an original butt plate could be fitted.