Whitpusmc

Sights for sale

11 posts in this topic

If this is a violation of the rules please delete. I do not  know this seller nor am I in any way related to this seller.

Someone was looking for a Johnson sight and there are two left on EBay. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-M1941-model-NOS-WW2-rear-sight-/363489381643?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

I don’t know if these are truly NOS but I bought one (there were three) with the intention of making a larger peep hole in it and saving my original sight. I welcome opinions from the experts here on its status (real vs repro)

They are not originals.  The knob has a roll pin (China), originals have solid pins.  Also originals have a checking pattern on back of peep, not so on these.  I bought one of these from importer to compare to originals.  The screw thread is metric, not correct.  He probably was told by his source that they were factory originals.

That is fine, I may send back or I may see if I can use the L shaped sight portion with my original by retapping the threads in the Chinese version.

I want to shoot my rifle but the peep sight hole is too small for my vision to resolve the front sight adequately. I’m not willing to damage the original sight.

What are the threads in the original please?

Whit 

OK, makes sense, how do I make sure I don’t damage the receiver dovetail when removing?

I have brass punches and polished hammers to prevent marking the surface, which direction do I drive the sight out? 

Whit 

8 minutes ago, Whitpusmc said:

I have brass punches and polished hammers to prevent marking the surface, which direction do I drive the sight out?

It is usually left to right to install, right to left to remove.

6 hours ago, eb in oregon said:

It is usually left to right to install, right to left to remove.

With the rifle pointing away from you correct? 

The dovetail is straight across, direction does not matter.  Be sure to lift the back end over top of receiver or you can break it.  If new one is loose, tap the male edges of sight slightly for snug fit.

On 8/12/2021 at 1:39 PM, Joseph Scott said:

The dovetail is straight across, direction does not matter.  Be sure to lift the back end over top of receiver or you can break it.  If new one is loose, tap the male edges of sight slightly for snug fit.

When I first started gunsmithing 50 or so years ago the advice given to me by an old time gunsmith was that the fact the dovetail isn't tapered wasn't the issue. It was to do the same thing every time for every gun, then mistakes are less likely to happen. So it's not a matter of whether the sight can be drifted out either way but consistency in work. And yes, it's the orientation of the muzzle as the firearm is held.