Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

Paramarine combat locations

2 posts in this topic

There is a new book in stores called "Pacific Warriors" about WW2 marines. It shows two photos of locations where the paramarines fought. I would think this is where the 23 loaned rifles were used(my guess). One photo shows the small islands of Gavutu & Tanambogo where they landed at noon and faced many dug-in enemy. Paramarines suffered many losses here. Later they were moved onto Gaudalcanal to help guard the airfield at "Bloody Ridge". The picture shows some of the hundreds of Japanese killed here in severe night attacks. Edson and the Raiders get most of the publicity but the paramarines fought here also. I guess that Johnson products served here as well. If you can find copies of each Marine divison's history books published in late 1940's, there is much more covered.

Don't forget the Northern Solomons campaign: Bougainville! I think this was the last campaign the Marine paratroopers fought as a distinct unit. I suspect that Joe is correct on the number of JSARs involved in the Solomons campaign (Guadalcanal, Gavatu, etc.). We do know that at least one JLMG was used on Edson's (Bloody) Ridge and that Torgerson commanded the paratroopers during that battle. (Photo of JLMG and various troops in Ghosts of Guadalcanal -- mainly dealing with sunken ships. Think I got the title of the book correct!)

Bob