Bruce Canfield

OSS Johnson rifles and LMGs

9 posts in this topic

A reader sent me a number of photos I hadn't previoulsy seen of Johnson weapons in the hands of the OSS's Detachment 101 in Burma.  I have found very little primary documentation on the use of the Johnson weapons by the OSS in WWII.  

image (1).jpg

image (3).jpg

Fantastic! From a S4/logistical perspective,  keeping such a unit in the fight would be trying.  The detachment pictured has .30 (JSAR & LMG), 45ACP (M1A1 & M3), .30 Carbine ( M1A1 Paratrooper), and .303 ( BREN) ammo requirements.  I don't see any pistols but that could add a .455, .38, or other ammo requirement to the mix. 

I'd like to know where you see that M1A1 Carbine as after studying the picture for a bit I can't seem to make it out. However I will say it's not unusual to see three or four different calibers of firearms in such a unit in the jungle during WWII. Modern Infantry units carry 5.56, 7.62x51, 9mm, 40mm grenade launchers, with assorted rockets, missiles, recoilless rifles, and hand thrown explosives. And a few MaDeuces if mounted.

First photo, lead soldier has the M1A1 slung under his right arm

My 81 year old repaired eyes, along with blowing up the photos, only give me the  '41 JSAR, JLMG, M1A1 Thompson for certain. Not sure about the Bren. I'm guessing the first soldier marching in the top photo might be carrying the M1A1 Carbine in his right hand, upside down with barrel and most of the gun concealed by his body. Yes? No?

28 minutes ago, ArtR said:

First photo, lead soldier has the M1A1 slung under his right arm

Oh wow man, I totally missed that. So there are 1941 JSAR's and a couple of 1941 LMG's, several Thompsons, at least one M1A1 carbine, and one Bren Gun. It's a Bren, look at the magazine. You can just make out the telling curve of a .303 magazine.

Found the article "Wings over Burma" where the photo came from   

Detachment 101 armed thousands of indigenous  guerrilla troops. Pictured are ethnic Shans near Wan Kat Ping, Burma, April 1945, armed with a variety of weapons: .30-06 caliber Johnson light machineguns, Johnson rifles, .45 caliber Thompson submachineguns, and a .303 caliber Bren gun. Detachment 101 armed thousands of indigenous guerrilla troops. Pictured are ethnic Shans near Wan Kat Ping, Burma, April 1945, armed with a variety of weapons: .30-06 caliber Johnson light machineguns, Johnson rifles, .45 caliber Thompson submachineguns, and a .303 caliber Bren gun.

1 hour ago, eb in oregon said:

I'd like to know where you see that M1A1 Carbine as after studying the picture for a bit I can't seem to make it out. However I will say it's not unusual to see three or four different calibers of firearms in such a unit in the jungle during WWII. Modern Infantry units carry 5.56, 7.62x51, 9mm, 40mm grenade launchers, with assorted rockets, missiles, recoilless rifles, and hand thrown explosives. And a few MaDeuces if mounted.

Recent events OEF, OIF, RS, etc. were "successfully" prosecuted because US had robust ground transport assets and 100% air dominance to either provide CAP or execute aerial delivery options.  In WW2,  long range penetration conducted by OSS detachments and SOE had to rely on resupply in a contested environment where air supply could be intercepted and ground logistical capabilities were environmentally limited.  My hat's off to those who likely had to pack everything with them and hope for resupply.  

One of my mentors always said, amateurs talk strategy, professionals talk logistics, and second and third order effects. I've always remembered that in all I do.

As for Melvin Johnson's contributions,  I'd like to know if any After Action Reports or Dispatches mentioned the reliability (or lack of) for the JSAR or LMG.

17 minutes ago, FlightRN said:

Recent events OEF, OIF, RS, etc. were "successfully" prosecuted because US had robust ground transport assets and 100% air dominance to either provide CAP or execute aerial delivery options.  In WW2,  long range penetration conducted by OSS detachments and SOE had to rely on resupply in a contested environment where air supply could be intercepted and ground logistical capabilities were environmentally limited.  My hat's off to those who likely had to pack everything with them and hope for resupply.  

One of my mentors always said, amateurs talk strategy, professionals talk logistics, and second and third order effects. I've always remembered that in all I do.

As for Melvin Johnson's contributions,  I'd like to know if any After Action Reports or Dispatches mentioned the reliability (or lack of) for the JSAR or LMG.

Having served for about 25 years as a Cavalry Scout and an Infantryman I'm all about logistics. I'm familiar with having to do without equipment and going hungry. And you're correct, anybody can start a war but the winner is usually the one with the most stuff and can get it delivered. Equipment is usually worthless without the means to use it. And If allowed to prosecute the war they have been sent to and not have their hands tied by ignorant politicians that never took the time to wear a uniform but believe in their higher moral standards.