GAS LLC

New member trying to restore 1941 Johnson

28 posts in this topic

Awesome job on the restoration!  You obviously been around the block with these projects.  I have the same question as Art, tell us about your test fire box please. 

2 hours ago, ArtR said:

Hey GAS LLC

Nice looking project and from video, seems to work flawlessly. You will have to take it to the range and give a report on how it is for accuracy.

Again, you did a great job rescuing that 'BUBBA' back to "Military'

What is the 'test fire' box that you have? Make/Model/Source?  It really got my attention.

ArtR

Savage Range Systems model GT Tabletop Gunsmith Here is a link https://www.savagerangesystems.com/content?p=traps

It has paid for it's self in time and fuel. Don't have much room in my shop or I would have gone with the next larger one. Been real happy with it.

I've wanted a JSAR for sometime just don't see them much anymore, so when this came up I jumped on it not knowing much about the weapon system. When I start in on a new weapon system I research them all I can. Canfield's book was a great resource. Love the story and history behind both the Man and the gun. I've been a fan of the Garand and the BM59 for a long time but after my experience with the JSAR I believe it was ahead of the garand. Especially the magazine and removable barrel. It's a shame the the US military did not adopt it along side the garand.

Hi GAS LLC

Thanks much for the trap info. I will look into it sometime when Internet is not so slow. (Boonies and DSL)

I am really glad that you took your time on this project. I think I can speak for others, that we are glad that you were able to restore the rifle to its proper condition.  You sound and appear to have done everything in the right order and right way. The proof is in the 'pudding' so to speak. Again.  A nice looking outcome to a fulfilling project. And, you now join the crowd of folk, while we like the Garand, we really appreciate and  like the JSAR.