Dutch2

Main spring

14 posts in this topic

Since the JSAR was used in the South Pacific with lots of rain and a hot  climate, I always wondered how well they lasted with all that heat and humidity, especially the main spring and tube inside the butt, one would think that water would get in there and had to be cleaned and oiled frequently.

I've thought of that myself numerous occasions. While the Garand can be stripped to clean the entire rifle (to include the recoil spring) the JSAR can not be cleaned as throughly. The butt plate must be removed, a special tool used to remove the recoil tube cap, and then the recoil spring can be serviced. It stands to reason that if the rifle had been submerged in water (especially salt water) the spring could corrode quickly in a high humidity environment. In my mind that is the greatest fault of the JSAR, the inability to service the entire rifle quickly and throughly without specialized tools. Then too the JSAR does have a few small parts that need be removed to service the action and can be lost. The take down pins for sure as well as the extractor and charging handle. I like the JSAR immensely, but it does have several flaws.

That very subject was discussed in a report from field action in the South Pacific I’ll try to post it here tomorrow after scanning it.

Phil M

It down loaded perfectly Phil, it was great that you were able to post that document. And it contained enough information on the subject at hand as to be very valuable. And it did address the issue that the recoil spring tube design needed work for the user to be able to service the recoil spring. Really, the JSAR wasn't in production long enough with enough numbers to address that problem.

Fascinating report, thank you !

It's too bad that politics got in the way, The Johnson would have been a great choice besides the Garand

I own and shoot both, the Johnson always attracts a lot of attention at the range, mine especially since I usually bring both 

barrels, first I shoot the 7.62x51 barrel, than show the guys how easy it is to switch barrels and continue with the 30-06   

It and more all belong to you guys who chipped in. Hope to get more copied soon.

thanks, Phil M

I enjoyed that bit of history. Thank you.

I for one wonder if that report might have had more impact if it had also been co-signed by Torgerson?

8 hours ago, ArtR said:

I for one wonder if that report might have had more impact if it had also been co-signed by Torgerson?

I'm pretty sure Torgerson sent his own AAR up the USMC chain, where it went is anybody's guess.

Marines probably passed it up to HQ, who may have passed on to DoD, where it was probably buried.