eb in oregon

Several questions

17 posts in this topic

I've only the reproduction of the 1941JSAR manual, and there is nothing about how it is supposed to be sighted or of it's zero standards. The rear sight appears to adjust to 50 meters but 100 meters is not so much less than 100 yards. However it does appear to be on target at 100 yards.

Then too I'm wondering why the "technical tips" posts are locked and no new comments can be posted or subjects addressed. I fired my JSAR the other day and it shoots well enough, but those around me (and a guy I let shoot 20 rounds) marveled at the ejection cycle. It launches cases like an olympian javelin thrower. While some cases got a little dent the biggest issue was the dent put into the case head by the ejector. Biggest ejector dent I've ever seen. But before someone else chimes in about the recoil spring it was replaced with new and it does measure 12 inches.

However I must include the caveat that military rifles have never been designed to be gentle to brass. For the military brass is a one use thing so the military has never cared if the brass got beat up. It's we people that reload that complain, a soldier in combat simply doesn't care.

45 minutes ago, eb in oregon said:

But before someone else chimes in about the recoil spring it was replaced with new and it does measure 12 inches.

OK but where did you get your new spring from?

19 minutes ago, metrotps said:

OK but where did you get your new spring from?

From some seller on ebay. And since replacing the spring it has fired less than 100 rounds. It really works about the same as the spring (11 1/4 in length) I replaced.

I'll still bet on the recoil spring being too weak, not enough coils, smaller diameter spring wire, spring compression rate not proper.

If the main recoil spring checks out to be comparable in compression strength to an original or a properly engineered new spring, then I'd ask what ammo are you using? The Johnson was designed to 150grain bullets loaded to specifications. In other words 30.06 ammo equivalent to to WW2 standards. Some new hunting ammo, even with a 150 grain bullet, might have a more powerful load of power which exceeds the pressure the rifle was designed for: around 2550 psi to 2700 psi.

The spring would still be in question. Guys can order new springs made by manufacturers but only in bulk quantities, and even though it's 12 inches long it may not have the proper compression rate as an original spring. I think one seller of springs was JPeterr and I've not heard any negative feedback.There was another guy selling them but I have no reference for him.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/923496067

The following quote is from ART:

Ammo by ART.JPG

While many will look at the main spring or other areas for issues, I contend now, and often in the past, that when it comes to issues with M1's and JSAR's, look first at the ammo used. First and foremost, I do not recommend using any commercially available .30-06 ammo, unless it specifically states that it is M2 Ball. If you look at the history of the M1, you will get to read about the ammo that it was designed around. Most was surplus WWI military .30-06. Later, M2 Ball arrived, but the load data lives on. If you are not shooting a very similarly loaded round in you JSAR, you are doing yourself a disservice, as you will be chasing problems. Spare yourself some grief, and find, reload and shoot only ammo that matches M2 Ball. If you do a 'search' on 'load data for m2 ball ammo', you will find numerous articles on many pages with recipes to duplicate M2 Ball.  I have used and relied upon IMR 4895 for years. At one point in time, I had a source for repackaged military IMR 4895. While that source has long since dried up, the rounds that I loaded with IMR 4895 and used in my M1 never gave me an issue. I shot literally thousands of rounds in competitions. When I got my JSAR, those same loads were used, and I never had an issue.

And if you are reloading, there is a difference between 147, 150, 152 grain bullets. They all require slightly different powder weights to achieve the required ballistics.  And remember, commercial brass and military brass are slightly different, and many load books will make reference to using a slightly different powder charge when using military brass.

And as a final note, with regard to reloading, keep your brass sorted  and separate and know how many times each case has been reloaded. I never use brass found at the range. Maybe I am a bit anal, but whether new or once fired military brass, brass that is fired in one of my rifles is reserved for and used only in that rifle. I inspect my brass very carefully before reloading. Any hint whatsoever of impending case failure and the whole lot of brass showing "X" reloads will be destroyed. I crush them so no one else can try to reload.

8 hours ago, ArtR said:

Most was surplus WWI military .30-06. Later, M2 Ball arrived, but the load data lives on. If you are not shooting a very similarly loaded round in you JSAR, you are doing yourself a disservice, as you will be chasing problems. Spare yourself some grief, and find, reload and shoot only ammo that matches M2 Ball.

I have reloaded 30-06 for over 35 years and been reloading since 1975. I only load 30-06 M2 Ball velocities with 147 grain Winchester FMJ projectiles over IMR 4895. Always have, always will as I've never had the need or desire to shoot anything else in my Garand's or JSAR. I've a Remington bolt rifle for anything else which is generally commercial hunting ammunition. I've a rule to load any military rifle I've ever had with loads as identical as I can make them to the load they were designed for. That rule works for .30 Carbine, 30-06, 8x57 Mauser, 7.62x39, and 6.5 Arisaka. I've no need to try to improve something perfectly adequate. At the most I've tried soft point projectiles as close to or identical to the military load in weight. As for the spring the replacement was checked against the original. Wire size, number of coils, and length were compared. Looked about the same only 3/4 inches longer. I may try another spring or I may not, but I'm all about how springs work. One doesn't work repairing firearms as a hobby business for 30 years or as a machinist for any length of time without learning about springs.

I'm not worried about the brass, I was merely wondering if other JSAR's are also energetic in the ejection of the fired case.

I do know that my JSAR is 'enthusiastic' about tossing brass, it that is an applicable term. However, I do not remember it damaging the rim, but I will try and locate some brass fired from it. It might be buried in my stores, so do not expect much.

Regarding the recoil spring source...I obtained mine from Joseph Scott. I have fired M2 Ball from WWII, Dominion CIL 150gr soft points, and Greek M2 Ball through my Winfield with no issues. It spits the fired brass out with similar vigor to my FN1949 ABL. 

21 minutes ago, metrotps said:

Regarding the recoil spring source...I obtained mine from Joseph Scott. I have fired M2 Ball from WWII, Dominion CIL 150gr soft points, and Greek M2 Ball through my Winfield with no issues. It spits the fired brass out with similar vigor to my FN1949 ABL. 

If you get tired of the FN, I would be interested pending condition and matching numbers. 

40 minutes ago, metrotps said:

It spits the fired brass out with similar vigor to my FN1949 ABL. 

I had an Egyptian for a bit and it too launched brass like an Atlas rocket. I liked it but sold it just because I got tired of right handed safety's only. I went thru a bunch of classical and fine rifles just because the safety chapped me off.

I should of kept the Hakim though. That's a nice rifle.

2 hours ago, eb in oregon said:

I had an Egyptian for a bit and it too launched brass like an Atlas rocket. I liked it but sold it just because I got tired of right handed safety's only. I went thru a bunch of classical and fine rifles just because the safety chapped me off.

I should of kept the Hakim though. That's a nice rifle.

My SVT-40 puts a major dent in the ejected case. I have a swedish ljungman, the gun on which the Hakim was based. Its a fun gun to shoot but a real brass launcher as it is overgassed without the Hakim's gas adjustment screw. And you really want to keep your hand clear of the action when it closes. 

50 minutes ago, Blueheeler said:

My SVT-40 puts a major dent in the ejected case. I have a swedish ljungman, the gun on which the Hakim was based. Its a fun gun to shoot but a real brass launcher as it is overgassed without the Hakim's gas adjustment screw. And you really want to keep your hand clear of the action when it closes. 

I’ve experienced the same thing with the brass on both rifles along with a scar on my left hand when the Ljungman bolt closed while showing my friend. 

As for all my guns, I handload for all of them, for the SVT40 i pull the bullets and dump the powder from milsurp ammo and use them in PRVI brass cases, I never shoot corrosive ammo in any of my semi's, hate having to take the gas system for cleaning.

The SVT40 does leave a small dimple in the side of the case, but it gets fireformed at  the next .firing, so no big deal.

On the Llungman I just finished making a gas adjusting screw, looks promising but needs a bit more time at the range to be perfect, i do make sure to keep my fingers out of that action, only load it with stripper clips but only with the safety on!   

I had an SVT 40, it was an adequate rifle. But it is more delicate and difficult to clean than many other rifles. Corrosive ammunition is to be avoided due to the strictures of cleaning. At least the gas system is somewhat adjustable. Really I'm wondering exactly why I sold that Hakim. It's a nice rifle and the one I had was almost mint. Sometimes I do stupid things. However the first time I watched the bolt close I knew "never ever leave a finger in that thing while the bolt goes home."

Back to 'reloading', this is a very disconcerting search result

For reloader's of .30-06 or .308 Win or 7.62x51....this screams of 'let's make it impossible to shoot'

I put a new recoil spring in my JSAR before I shot it for the first time. I do not know who made the spring, and I do not have access to the original specifications for a comparison. I have been shooting S&B 150 grain "Garand Food." 

I get a pronounced mark on the case head of the fired brass from the ejector that looks a rimfire firing pin mark. I plan to reload the cases. I do not get the mark on every case. The cases are ejected with a lot of energy and land 8-15 feet away.

47 minutes ago, flyer338 said:

I put a new recoil spring in my JSAR before I shot it for the first time. I do not know who made the spring, and I do not have access to the original specifications for a comparison. I have been shooting S&B 150 grain "Garand Food." 

I get a pronounced mark on the case head of the fired brass from the ejector that looks a rimfire firing pin mark. I plan to reload the cases. I do not get the mark on every case. The cases are ejected with a lot of energy and land 8-15 feet away.

Ditto.