matconcrete

Is 4487 - 99.8% original?

7 posts in this topic

I have been watching for an all original jsar, recently found 4487, all numbers match original log (thanks Art), with the exception of the extractor. Appears to be in very nice condition, stock seems to match the rest of rifle, was supposedly on display in a private setting for many years. My concern - is stock original? Art mentioned the log book shows it leaving the factory with a number 2 stock, only numbers I have found is a number 1 ahead of trigger assy.BDBF2581-33EC-41E8-B7DC-A95B0A93EA8C.jpeg1C96278D-E5F5-4ED8-B382-27E3A44BD3E0.jpegFBA788F9-E41E-4284-8BAC-CC123E4E25E5.jpeg4AD69DF8-E2E4-4A38-A505-D335084C7EDA.jpeg9B54C440-09F2-4254-9A70-F0EE27A193B9.jpeg

This is a fantastic find!  I don’t know if I should congratulate you or start sending hate mail. (Just kidding).  Congratulations on this. 

Ive found numbers stamped into the end of the butt stock at the magazine end of the stock. 

Looks like M to me as well.  I have letters or numbers stamped on my stocks.  But would have to go back to find the pictures to see what they say. Also have some stocks with numbers stamped near the trigger guard like yours, and I know some do show “2”. 

Hey guys. I am not sure where to look for the number, but more knowledgeable members will chime in shortly and point to where to look exactly.

But, back to the topic. Great find and nice looking piece. Phil and I have had a few back and forth discussions on his find, and it is truly exceptional.

From a June 4, 2013 Brian Alpert post:

"The production logs refer to astock number , which when examining the production logs is either left blank or has the #"2". If present, it is located in the slot for the front buttstock screw."

Art, I seem to think that they used numbers 1, 2 and 3 on the stocks.  I’m just not sure if I remembered correctly though. 

Per what I have seen, in 4 digit production logs, only 'blank' and '2" are noted. As we do not have the logs for the 'A' or 'B', we cannot know for sure, but most of us look at the logs as being run/kept simultaneously, that is, all 3 logs were being updated at the same time, thus we believe that only the blank and 2 were recorded. Of course, without the other two logs, that is just a supposition, but I personally have not seen either a '1' or a '3'.