WHIG

Another new member

7 posts in this topic

Thanks all for letting me join this exclusive rifle club. I have been collecting military firearms for decades and enjoy collecting, cleaning, fixing, reloading for and shooting most of what I have. 

The Johnson 1941 rifle is one I have watched from a distance for many years but never learned enough about, or saw many for sale, to buy one. I know that these, as well as almost all mil surps, have shot up in price. I have saved some money now and am looking for a nice one to purchase.

I was watching one for sale through an auction that ended yesterday. Very nice condition both the stock and metal, not refinished, but it, of course, went much higher than my high bid. There will be more. It sold, with added premium, for over $13,500! I guess it was nicer than I knew to someone.

I checked with a member here and he has sold his nicer Johnsons. I do want one in as close to original military configuration as possible. I know how these things can be altered, refinished, and damaged by "gun smiths" and Bubba since my favorite mil surp to collect are Krag Jorgensen carbines and rifles and many of them have also been changed a lot since they were first manufactured at Springfield Armory.

One specific question. How important is it to have the star stamped above the Cranston triangle for value? One I am looking at may not have that star.

Thanks and I appreciate any help or if any members have a nice rifle they might be ready to pass on to a new care taker!

Welcome, and enjoy all the wealth of knowledge here.  

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one without the star.  But maybe someone here knows more about this anomaly.  

OK. The picture was not clear and I wasn't sure if there was a star or not. It appears it may be but I'm asking for a clearer picture of that area. Thanks.

Hello WHIG, and welcome to the forum and JSAR site in general.

Here you will connect with and be able to converse with and question some of the most knowledgeable JSAR folk around.

You may also be privy to early information on the sale of a nice rifle. All sales will be conducted through your FFL unless of course you happen to hold a C&R license, in which case all C&R terms and conditions must be met.

If you have not done so already, and you are serious about the purchase of a JSAR, I strongly suggest that you obtain a copy of Bruce Canfield's "Johnson Rifles and Machine Guns" available at many online outlets or directly from the author's publisher.  Regardless, it is a worthwhile investment which will help answer many questions that you might have while you are researching and shopping,  and it will also be an invaluable companion in your library.

Enjoy

ArtR

To follow up with Art's remarks.....the best move is to (a) BUY the book, (b) READ the book, and THEN (c) use this website and message board to ask questions. In addition, some of the other Website pages can also be helpful. Granted, my father was the inventor and I helped produce the book, but at my age of 81, as I approach my "Daffy Duck" years, I find myself re-reading pages and checking photos at least 4 or 5 times a week. ej

Art and Ed thanks a lot. I enjoy lots of firearms and have had my eye on a Johnson for about 15 years. I have purchased Bruce's book and see he's a friend here also. It is a good addition to my library and I will certainly make good use of it. When I get a Johnson, I'll be sure to post pictures. I reload and will want to find a nice safe load for it also. I probably have everything I need for components and powder. I think I'm sitting on a bunch of 147 grain bullets which would fit this well. I have 175 grains also but might use those for my .308 loads.

Thanks. I have been reading back on many posts on this forum. Takes time but I'll work through them. I appreciate Dr. Alpert's contribution over the years and see that many miss his wisdom but there's still a bunch of good people here to continue the work in educating the rest of us.