Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rarecat

It's a beautiful day in Florida

7 posts in this topic

80 degrees & sunny.   Finally got to test fire the Winfield Deluxe Sporter I bought a few months ago.  Sourced a replacement stock, gave it a new main spring and extractor and it runs like a top.  Next week I'll try out the .270 WCF barrel.  Now that it's cleaned and back in the safe, time to fire up the grill, T-bones for dinner.  Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Winfield_Deluxe.jpg

Sharp looking piece. How did it print? Bet there might have been a few onlookers.  T-Bones sound fine. Just here in the northern regions, firing the grill would consume more fuel than the steaks would cost. Enjoy yours.

Thanks, it printed very tight.  I let one of the range employees try a few rounds and had two people take pics.  Johnsons are range rockstars 

Factory loads.  HXP Surplus 30.06 and Prvi .270.   I save the brass but don't reload yet

Rarecat: I am glad to hear that you save the brass. While you are not into reloading at the moment, it usually does not cost too much to get set up.

It all started for me when I returned from a day sighting in my dad's old Marlin 36A-DL. I had two boxes of empty brass. My cousin told me to bring it over, and he helped me to reload. I was hooked. I began my search. I started with, and continue to use today, an older Lee Challenger press, purchased many years ago at a gun show for $20. I added, over time, a set of Lee dippers, an older Lee AutoPrime, a Lyman 500 powder scale, funnel, powder dribbler, cartridge trays, a case trimmer, and various other accessory tools for primer pocket swagging, cleaning, deburring, etc. Over time I did add a bench mounted powder measure, for other than my match loads, electronic powder scale, a power case trimmer, and other accessories probably too numerous to mention.

Granted this was over 40 years ago, and prices have escalated some, but I still have and use all that equipment. I hate to think the many thousands of rounds that have been loaded on that simple but very efficient press. My records, for my 2nd M14, show that I loaded 4,600 rounds of 168gr HPBT match for use in that rifle alone. Add to that both practice and match ammo for the M14's Garand's, 1903's, AR-15's, plus regular ammo for other pistols and rifles. 

There are numerous good introductory and advanced books on the subject, and also some great videos. Once you get started, you will wonder why you did not start earlier. You will have found another pastime activity.

And to add to it, you get the satisfaction of learning about and creating your own cartridges, as well as gaining an intimate insight into cartridge manufacture and construction. One great advantage to hand loading  is you can test and find the 'sweet load' for each rifle in your stable.