ArtR

A couple sightings

19 posts in this topic

4138 Gunbroker, new sighting

A5380 Gunbroker, new sighting

6574 Gunbroker, this has been seen on RIA  Sold $6,576

3779 Gunbroker, new sighting

1371 Proxibid, new sighting. Chile 7mm, Check sling pattern???

Also noticed 0067 coming up in RIA premier, wish I hadn’t seen it as my lmg is 0068.

3 hours ago, camstuff said:

Here’s an unusual sighting for you all.  Johnson barrel that just showed up. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334353847642

For those not aware, attention is drawn to pp.163-165, p.169,  p.199, in the Johnson Rifles and Machine Guns book, for a good discussion on JAMCO's involvement with replacement barrels for the 1917

Edited by ArtR
Added additional pages

Several years ago a buddy need a replacement barrel for his 1917. We found and used a really nice JA barrel.

With a little sighting in the rifle shoots beautifully. Good barrels when you can find them.

Ryche

13 minutes ago, ryche_me said:

Several years ago a buddy need a replacement barrel for his 1917. We found and used a really nice JA barrel.

With a little sighting in the rifle shoots beautifully. Good barrels when you can find them.

Ryche

If I were needing a new barrel for a US rifle I think I'd rather "pop" for a new Criterion barrel from the CMP. A used barrel to stay original just doesn't float my boat.

unfortunately that wasn't an option at the time. The JA barrel was in unused condition and kinda added to the rebuild from sporter thing we were doing :)

Ryche 

Rebuilding/restoring a 1917 and using a JA barrel would make a lot of sense, especially if using a 'new' condition  JA WWII dated barrel.

Ryche_me: do you remember if it was a 2 groove barrel? That would have been truly neat!

I do know that I am and was very surprised with my Remington 1903A3 'as new' 2-groove rifle. The accuracy at ranges 200-500 yards was noteworthy. My biggest problem with the '03's was the thin blade front sight. My eyes liked and still like the wider front blades on the 1917's, M1's, and JSAR's.

Art: Yes it was a 2 groove. It kinda surprised me at the time as i wasn't familiar with them.

We were both surprised at how well it printed out to 200-250 yards.

As i remember the price was really good too.

The dealer had about 4 different 1917 barrels to choose from, and i told my buddy that the JA would be very cool on the rifle.

He has been pleased with it ever since. Now that she is dressed right looks alot better than the bubba sporter we started with.

Ryche 

On 3/9/2022 at 6:33 AM, ryche_me said:

unfortunately that wasn't an option at the time. The JA barrel was in unused condition and kinda added to the rebuild from sporter thing we were doing :)

Ryche 

Well, that's a horse of a different color and under those circumstances would have done the same.

I just looked at photos I had taken of my Eddystone's. My Nov '18 built Eddystone had an 11-18 Eddystone barrel, which had a TE of 1.0 and ME of 0.5. My Nov '17 built Eddystone had an undated JA barrel. For some reason I had not done a TE/ME on it.

When 1917's came back as a sort of collectable items, restorers  who did the research were surprised and excited to find that JA marked barrels were a perfect option on a project rifle as many original takeoff  barrels were in very bad shape. Some were able to find some nice JA barrels in very good to excellent condition for prices much lower than some other options. I have a friend who did a 1917 restore, and found 3 JA barrels after having seen my rifle. He used one, and later sold the other 2, recouping much of his restoration costs for his 1917. After I had gotten my JSAR book, I emailed him a scan from the book where it described JA involvement in re-barreling 1917's for WWII. He has kept that email in the event he sells the rifle and someone questions the JA marked barrel.

I had a real nice Remington 1917, it appeared almost un-issued. It was correct. But I got a "wild hair" about having so many right handed rifles and I sold 10 to 15 right handed bolt guns. Things change.

Craziness continues. SN 3779 (poor bluing), which has been on and off GB since March 5, at $10,000 and later had a price reduction to $9000, now finally has 1 bid at $9000. OUCH!

SN 3779 Sold with one bid at $9000!. Totally amazing, considering condition (see photos)!!! What will we see next?

It will be interesting to see if the buyer backs out of the deal, or leaves negative feedback after they get a good look at it. 

SN 6099 has been relisted at $8000, ...  a substantially reduced price, since its first listing back in January at $13,000, then 10,000, then 9,000

There are quite a few JSAR's on Guns International if anyone feels like looking

As RARECAT pointed out, several on GI. SN B6051, SN B3601, SN A3088, SN B7822, SN B5298, SN B6382, SN B2182

Most have been seen previously in earlier sightings. B3601 is a new item I believe, though it may have been previously owned by a forum member???