WHIG

New Acquisition Johnson B0227 Pictures For Opinions

28 posts in this topic

On 3/13/2022 at 6:24 PM, WHIG said:

Thanks all. I found another detail which makes me feel a bunch better about the stock. First, it does have a light coat of varnish. I am going to remove the wood and wipe it down with Denatured alcohol and then apply a few coats of BLO. This should darken the wood a little which I prefer. Should look a bunch better.

But, when I was wiping some of it down to check the finish out, I wiped off some gunk behind the stock screw near the receiver/magazine. I found the number "2" stamped there. I read back through old posts and found that stocks either had no stampings or the number "2" in this recess. This makes me feel that this is an original Johnson stock. Nice find to convince me more. I have read about so many stocks having been replaced with new ones. Nice to have what appears to be an all original Johnson as far as I can tell.

Is there still some thought about number "1" and "3" stocks or is it just number "2" and no marking stocks?

Thanks!

stock number.JPG

While looking at cross sanding marks, I documented these stock numbers.  I had forgotten about the #2 stamped into the side of my Chilean butt stock before until today, and one shows a #3. A5D29ACA-8836-4466-9219-2D09C7D4A6E1.jpeg

26EAC9FD-CF95-4D08-909B-3191CDB5D135.jpeg

A50A04DF-B179-4BF8-817A-8D12123E7C5C.jpeg

Nice to see those numbers in the screw well. They seem legit. The one on the right side of the stock near the butt plate looks added. Any other authentic JSAR stocks have a number stamped there?

So, original stocks appear to be numbered 1, 2 or 3 or nothing? Is that correct?

It is my opinion that these numbers are inspectors or shift numbers of the wood manufacturer.  #2 might have been day shift.  Sometime they are on the end next to magazine and not as clear in the end grain.