Yuccacapt343

Range Day

22 posts in this topic

Nothing like a great day throwing small planets down range!

Range Day.jpg

Looks like a fun day in the sun.  My daughter says “Suns out, Guns out”.  I see some bags under the table, what else did you bring? 

9 minutes ago, camstuff said:

Suns out, Guns out

I like that! I’m going to have to remember that! That’s just my range bag. My range is about an hour and a half drive so I try and bring enough ammo to last me most of the day but not to many firearms so I don’t end up spending the next week cleaning.

But, how well did you shoot?

Looks like a great day. We had cold, windy weather and possibly snow again tomorrow here in southeastern, Ohio. I guess I won't be working in the garden or out at the range this weekend!

I like that laminated stock on the Garand. Mine have standard walnut stocks, but the laminated is pretty. If available I'd stick one on the Johnson just because. It would look "racy."

17 minutes ago, WHIG said:

But, how well did you shoot?

Looks like a great day. We had cold, windy weather and possibly snow again tomorrow here in southeastern, Ohio. I guess I won't be working in the garden or out at the range this weekend!

They all shot great!! I was so-so!

Weather here today was about 75 with about a 5 mph breeze! About the only thing good to say about CA is the weather!

16 minutes ago, eb in oregon said:

I like that laminated stock on the Garand. Mine have standard walnut stocks, but the laminated is pretty. If available I'd stick one on the Johnson just because. It would look "racy."

My other 3 Garands have the walnut stocks. This Garand with the laminated stock, I built it with all SA parts, correct to the serial number of the receiver. The only thing that isn’t SA is the new Criterion barrel. I figured since I put it together, I might as well put some bling on it!

It is nice to see that someone on the left coast can enjoy their 2nd Amendment rights! I am patiently waiting for 75 degree weather here like you had.

I hit the range this week too, Had to test out the 270 WIN Barrel in the Winfield.....  good to go

thumbnail.jpg

Awesome, yours is the first 270 I’ve seen.  Ive seen them in old Winfield ads, but never for sale since I’ve been collecting.  

I don’t recognize that unique looking bolt action and trigger group.  What is it? Looks interesting to me. 

Very cool! Love to see these rifles at the range!

9 hours ago, camstuff said:

Awesome, yours is the first 270 I’ve seen.  Ive seen them in old Winfield ads, but never for sale since I’ve been collecting.  

I don’t recognize that unique looking bolt action and trigger group.  What is it? Looks interesting to me. 

It's a 1905 Ross Rifle MKII***  Straight pull bolt action in .303 British

pix587692582.jpg

pix009787956.jpg

Very nice Rarecat, it looks like a really long rifle. I’ll have to look at some history and videos on it.  Thanks. 

I recognized the Ross. An excellent target rifle, an awful battle rifle. At least in the trenches of WWI. If the designers had stayed with the bolt locking system of the Mannlicher M1895 it copied instead of the interrupted screw it would have been a far better rifle.

The Winfield Deluxe Sporter which I purchased from Brian Alpert, (RIP) is in 270 Winchester. I've never gotten around to shooting it. It's just too beautiful to shoot. Actually I don't have too many rounds of 270 and I want to save those for the developing war.

Brians touched up.jpg

5 hours ago, camstuff said:

Very nice Rarecat, it looks like a really long rifle. I’ll have to look at some history and videos on it.  Thanks. 

I have a 1910 Ross, the model that the Canadians took to France. It is very accurate. The 1910 is the model where the bolt could be assembled wrong and the rifle then fired without the bolt being locked. This was later  fixed by a modification but left the rifle with a bad reputation. It was a very good target rifle but a poor battle rifle. 

M48Tanker and others: One very nice thing about the .270Win cartridge is that it is so similar to the .30-06 Springfield. Besides being a necked down .30-06 case, it can similarly be loaded with numerous bullet weights to make everything from light weight plinking rounds to long range heavy hunting rounds. Reloading still makes for economical practice and hunting rounds. In certain instances, I have gotten 5-6 reloads from new brass, which I have fired in one rifle specifically. Historically, I have had the best luck with rounds fired in bolt action rifles. Add to that some 'low recoil' reloads, and it can be a very fun cartridge for  youngsters.

3 hours ago, M48TANKER said:

The Winfield Deluxe Sporter which I purchased from Brian Alpert, (RIP) is in 270 Winchester. I've never gotten around to shooting it. It's just too beautiful to shoot. Actually I don't have too many rounds of 270 and I want to save those for the developing war.

Brians touched up.jpg

As long as you have a good quantity of 30.06 brass you have 270 brass. Though I'd anneal the cases before and after forming, and then resize them again after the second annealing.

eb in oregon,

and ArtR,

Thanks for the reloading info. I do have enough 30.06 once fired brass to keep me going for a while. Do either of you happen to have a "pet" load for 270? Most of my shooting is now target practice just for fun.

22 hours ago, M48TANKER said:

eb in oregon,

and ArtR,

Thanks for the reloading info. I do have enough 30.06 once fired brass to keep me going for a while. Do either of you happen to have a "pet" load for 270? Most of my shooting is now target practice just for fun.

I can't help you there, I've never had one. But the .270 is based on the 30.06 and can be made from a necked down 30.06. That much I know. Donnelly's "Manual of Cartridge Conversions" states anneal the 30.06 case, run it into a .270 die, square the case mouth, and chamfer. It will be a little bit shorter than factory but a little bit short hurts nothing. Especially if using un-cannelured bullets. Seat to normal length and crimp. The bullet doesn't care where it is crimped if you choose to do so. However in a semi-automatic rifle it is a recommended thing.

Tanker...I will PM you

ArtR

Hey Tanker! Sent you a PM