Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eb in oregon

5.7MMJ Reloads

3 posts in this topic

The other year I bought some ammunition for the 5.7MMJ due to a post by Ed. I bought a bunch. Both formed brass and loaded ammunition in three different bullet types. There was a 40 grain semi-spitzer that must of been swaged from some hard metal (as it isn't lead and there is no lubrication grooves or lube), then there was some 40 grain semi-jacked soft points, and some 40 grain open tip match type bullets also apparently swaged from something hard. No lubrication grooves and no leading. All three loaded with 12 grains of H110.

I took the IAI clone and the Johnson to the range and tried all three loaded cartridges. The IAI feeds the semi-spitzers, not the match type. The Johnson feeds anything.

At 25 yards both put most rounds into the 10 ring of a SR-1 target. One slightly out, two on the ring of the other rifle. I forgot to record which rifle to each target. 100 yards wasn't what I wanted. A man sized target, for sure. A varmint of rabbit size, well it would be nip and tuck.

But I'm liking this cartridge. It doesn't get the respect it deserves.

However I did have some split cases in all of the three loads which reinforces my belief that to form .30 Carbine to 5.7MMJ annealing is required. I've got plenty of brass at present, but if I needed to make more I would anneal the cases before forming, tumble, size, and trim to the minimum.

eb

You are correct in your assumption that the brass needs annealing. Generally preferred both before and right after resizing. It will make your reformed brass last longer. While I myself do not reform brass, one of my close shooting buddies does so all the time, and that was his recommendation.

ArtR

I bought one of these the other year specifically for the 5.7MMJ. I haven't needed to use it since Ed assisted in the purchase of a quantity (which was what I was writing about) however I intend to use it shortly to re-build my stash of 30.06 which I've pretty much used up my reloads.

And I'll add that the MRB annealer is a fine piece of equipment. Well made and takes the labor and thinking out of the problem. I bought it for 5.7MMJ forming, but I've done a bunch of .223 cases on it, and am soon (hopefully, depending on mood) going to do some 5.7MMJ fired cases and some 30.06. The plan is to use it a bunch as I've old and who knows how many times fired brass. In multiple calibers.

https://www.mikesreloadingbench.com/mrb2018_006.htm

Edited by eb in oregon
Additional information