Joseph Scott

Tulsa report

11 posts in this topic

I will cover several items;  looked close at 0067 displayed on Rock Island auction table.  Definitely a put together gun as reported by previous owner MC41.  Still has SC barrel.  They are wishing or smoking  something if they expect to get $14-21,000.  Didn't walk show myself except to look at 0067.  Others reported four M1941 SAR's  on floor, two for sale, two on auction displays.  Did not hear of the carbine clone sale. A nice  one that I sold for $6 some years ago, sold for $10K with bayonet.  I sold two original bayonets and two original stocks that I had been hoarding.

Looked at a perfect, all correct, #5698 belonging to MC41.  He bought this several years ago at an  sale of 18 Jonson rifles.  He called me at the time to get the assembly numbers and discuss other details such as light cross grain sanding marks, etc.  It is the most perfect rifle, I have ever seen.  I asked how did you disassemble without leaving screw slot marks.  he answered, I put masking tape on screwdriver tips. even the stock has the correct number.  To get this one, is why he sold 0067 (put together) gun.

The show was packed again and lots of sales.  Mr wannamaker died this year and badges have his picture on them.   Tables are going up to $200 next show.  Had to decide whether to renew. Will be back same location 12la.  Several vendors are quitting at $200 ea for  tables. There was a gun discharge upstairs, but no details.   Have ordered 6 walnut stock blanks and hope to have them by Nov show.  Used to pay $65, now blanks are $265 plus shipping.  

That show sounds amazing!  Wish I lived closer.  

A show I would go to all the time had a couple of gun discharges, two years in a row, the community was anti gun, eventually they got it shut down, they used the discharges and part of the reasons. 

Now I’ve got to check my stocks for cross grain sanding.  

thanks for sharing your report Joe. 

Years ago, I had 'noted'  cross grain sanding on several stocks seen in past forum reviews, and only just recently learned, here on this forum, that it was a correct feature of original stocks. I actually saved one of the photos, for reference, as it was a 'no cheek' stock. In retrospect, maybe it was not so much a detriment as an indication of authenticity?

P3302002aa.jpg

Wow, very noticeable and rough looking.  I figured it would of been more like a light sanding markings. 

I cannot guarantee on this example that it was 'original' sanding, as the stock is clearly 'varnished'. I keep looking to find other examples, but have not yet.

The light sanding marks are sometimes visible on the rear sides of the wood.  Very hard to find in good light if you hold it just right.  Maybe MC41 can get a picture of his wood and post it.  These came from worker holding wood by ends across a wide floppy belt.  All sanding done by "mark 1 eye ball"  per manufacturing video.  Then it shows stocks being dipped in a dark oil, drained and buffed on a large leather wheel.  Original wood is dark, inside and out.

Kinda hard to see but I assumed this is original. Another reason #0068 doesn’t come out to play very often.6B4FC9E3-A4C6-4DFE-A562-2B6D683C174A.jpeg

Just inspected mine, I can see cross sanding. It is hard to capture on camera, sometimes I’ve got to get the light to reflect a little.  Oddly the Chilean I purchased from Brian did not have any cross sanding marks. 

79F4A957-5EDA-48C8-8562-76B6FD9F5A39.jpeg

49363DCE-8DCB-4698-AD9F-0D6BA00B039B.jpeg

1DDC33EF-5FF2-4314-9479-5701420BA95C.jpeg

B8C09455-C004-4DB8-ABF5-49393D952044.jpeg

0BB575E5-A941-4D5A-B02F-A3A971F7CB48.jpeg

30CA112D-99D0-405D-B1FB-CF676FE6AB0C.jpeg

cam & mat: both good examples for other to use and compare. thanks

I have read this thread and thought that I never saw cross sanding marks on my JSAR stock. And, I'm convinced that mine is as original as can be!

So, I went down to examine it under some magnification and found areas of obvious cross-grain sanding! It is not everywhere but very obvious in a few areas (below). So, I just didn't know what to look for and where. It is great to find another reason why I have the real thing. And thanks for the great information to help me understand this better. One of these years, I might be a JSAR "Expert"!

DSCN7555.JPG

DSCN7560.JPG

DSCN7562.JPG

DSCN7566.JPG

Along with these and other photos, members can surely know now what to look for.