WHIG

Finally got Mainspring Tube Cap Unscrewed

7 posts in this topic

The one thing I had not been able to do was to unscrew may JSAR's mainspring tube cap which probably hasn't been removed in decades! It really wasn't damaged or obviously gunked up. I have covered it with penetrating oil a number of times and let it sit. Couldn't remove it with numerous large screw drivers I have. I talked with Camstuff and he gave me some ideas. I searched around my workshops and finally found something I could adapt to try with a better torquing handle. I found this pry bar and ground the tips down to fit the slots and the butt hole for the cap. I was able to carefully clamp the rifle in the vise and get the cap unscrewed. Finally!

Good thing because the spring is only 11 3/8 inch long. Everything looks good but I do need a new spring. I just sent Joseph Scott a pm to check with him. Might need to get one off of ebay if they are still there if Joseph is out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Great report, method, process, etc. Glad that you were able to accomplish and hope a new spring is in the offing.

ArtR

Hey, I said to use a tire iron!! Not my nail puller!!  Ha ha.  It looks like it fit well.  The buffer assembly will also come apart for inspection and it takes about 3 quarts of oil.  

A question that has come up in my mind.

In all the attempts at freeing up the mainspring tube cap, do any of the penetrating fluids used affect the stock, finish, or color?

I oiled around the cap and inside the slot hole to try to get penetrating oil onto the threads. I did not flood the area with oil and none came close to soaking through to the outside of the stock or even wick up to the raw wood under the butt plate. I was careful but it is a valid point to use with caution, especially thin penetrating oil that can soak through wood easier.