Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jimbocious

Bayonet sold for $1,763

8 posts in this topic

WOW! That was a rather average, ordinary, run-of-the-mill example, with "no story"! What gives?

Has COVID been proven to affect brains?

You watch now. Every bayonet out there will be a museum piece. Same as happened after the first 'pretty close to museum piece' JSAR sold for $8K.

If you haven't gotten a bayonet yet, good luck in the future!

Rock Island, along with a few other auction companies, unfortunately create the market for many of these items. Their descriptions certainly help sell the items for more than they might be worth. many people bidding on the sights have more money than most of us. Just putting the word "rare" in the title jumps the sale price!

I'm just glad I was able to get a nice one at a reasonable price to complement my JSAR before this auction raised the market values!

My father was a new/used car salesman. He frequently said, "Everything is for sale" and "Everything is worth what someone is willing to pay." Which begs two bigger questions..."Can you sell it again?" and "Can you get what you paid for it?"

WHIG above is accurate about RIA, unfortunately, as I discovered from personal experience some years ago. They seem to "push" the " story " over the gun itself. They will also try to ignore any comments intended to correct the error, regardless of who the comments may be coming from. It is certainly ironic that the price on Johnson bayonets has climbed so high, since Dad himself did not value them as very effective in most firefights. In addition, provenance is also rather difficult to prove with these bayonets.  ej

I'm immensely glad that my JSAR came with a bayonet. My rifle and bayonet is already far more valuable than what I paid for it the other year.

46 minutes ago, eb in oregon said:

I'm immensely glad that my JSAR came with a bayonet. My rifle and bayonet is already far more valuable than what I paid for it the other year.

Mine as well, and I cannot complain at all with the extreme condition/quality of both bayonet and scabbard. Today, I am all the more appreciative of what I bought and when I did, now nearly 20 years ago. At the time it was a lot of money. I would hate to pay going rates today for both items.