camstuff

#5046 interesting cartouche.

10 posts in this topic

While anything is possible, not one of the non-prefix rifles shown as USMC. Probably 'fake'

I was going to shoot a message to the seller pointing out that the rifle was re-finished (and I'm positive it is and probably a replacement butt stock) and it had a fake USMC cartouche on it and he was asking a lot for a fake rifle, but what would be the point? I'd get back a load of rubbish or be ignored. And it is missing the front cross pin. Buyer beware.

Definitely too nice not to be refinished, and then the cartouche, to bad. Sell it for what is , a nice refinished 41. It will bring decent money as that.

I have seen “US” stamping on a verifiable USMC jsar, did all USMC jsar’s have that?

Phil

The M1941 Johnson rifles procured by the USMC had no special markings applied.  There have been a number of nice rifles with spurious "US" or "USMC" markings added in an attempt to enhance the value and desirability.  Actually, such practices have the opposite effect.

Were these stamps added by armorer’s or after service owners or ?

Having trouble with photo, will find child to help. phil

Most agree that these 'marks' were added post-war to 'attempt to enhance value'.

At the old large Pomona (LA) show , there was a dealer who made hundreds of different stamps.  Any country or name, inspector marks.  Two women were selling nice wood with faked stamps.  Some stocks have numbers which I believe were "rack" numbers from Nederlands or Argentina.