Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ceemwhykay

First post!

13 posts in this topic

Welcome aboard. Rifle looks good, as does the sling. Stock looks new or not used very much. Let us know if the rifle has any "history" and how accurately it shoots, etc.

Glad to hear that you have Bruce Canfield's book and are reading it. As you may well know, searching this forum for key words might bring up previously discussed items or issues or questions that you have.  I will even bet that you have been poking around a bit already. If that does not work, ask away. The only dumb question is one that is not asked.  Have fun and welcome to the board and enjoy.

Thanks for the tips and welcome, all!

@Ed Johnson it shoots like a dream, better than my M1, though don't tell anyone! And sadly I know no history on it, and know those records are lost on my B series - but the stock looks original, just very gently used - maybe simply stored in an armory and then a safe for many years? No matter, it's on the range with me now.

I'd like to go to a CMP service rifle match, hence the sling - but never been, other than a couple practice clinics. Do many folks use these in those matches? I shoot it better than my other rifles, so would be fun to try.

You might find this article interesting. While I am not personally aware of anyone using a JSAR at either a NRA or CMP match, you can contact either organization for clarification. Contact info for both organizations is shown at the end of the article.

As long as it is listed in the CMP Rulebook as an acceptable rifle, you should be able to shoot it at any Garand  NRA/CMP sanctioned match. Have fun!

I found it interesting the 'acceptable' trigger pull on the JSAR was lower. (3.5 lb. vs 4.5 lb.)

Welcome! As a newer member and a new owner of an original condition "B" series myself, I can advise to read Canfield, search through and read previous posts here and spend time learning how to dis-assemble, clean and care for your Johnson rifle. It has been a wonderful experience to do so and ask questions and post pictures here of anything you need help with or want to share with others. I have collected military rifles of all sorts for years and have always wanted a nice condition Johnson. Finally took the leap and wound up with a nice one that I am proud to own and have learned a lot about, with the help and support from many members here.

Enjoy and share your experiences when you get the chance!

DSCN7456 2.JPG

DSCN7367.JPG

Wow, @WHIG great seeing it disassembled, ive been afraid to booger a screw... good to see what tools you use! What's the hammer for?

On 6/3/2022 at 10:33 PM, ArtR said:

As long as it is listed in the CMP Rulebook as an acceptable rifle, you should be able to shoot it at any Garand  NRA/CMP sanctioned match. Have fun!

I found it interesting the 'acceptable' trigger pull on the JSAR was lower. (3.5 lb. vs 4.5 lb.)

I saw that too, @ArtR, my trigger pull is close to 7 lbs..is that normal?

Small hammer to tap pins out. I also needed to use a piece of wood to tap off the bolt stop wedge. This was tough to do since my rifle had not been dis-assembled in a long time. I wrote up a post about how I removed the threaded main spring tube cap, which was really tight since it had been untouched for a long time also. Lots of fun and challenges doing this stuff. Just go slow and think things through so you don't damage anything and kick yourself later. Use good screw drivers and turn the screws slowly and firmly and you won't bugger up the screws. Ask questions, get reprints of manuals (or originals with a lot of patience and some luck!) with tons of info and you'll find out what you need. Good luck!

ceemwhykay: I really cannot say for sure.  While 7# sounds excessive, it probably is not. I never thought to test the trigger pull on any of my guns. I only knew that any rifles that I used in DCM/CMP/NRA matches had to meet the 4.5# minimum, which we all had to do. Any State rifle that I shot had already been setup and tested at that pull. Any aftermarket match triggers that I had installed on personal guns that I shot in matches also had been set and tested at the 4.5# minimum.

I believe Joe Scott might still be selling his JSAR disassembly video, if you need help.