Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hendrix051

Serial number check and a question

9 posts in this topic

Hello!

I came across what I think is a reasonably priced M1941 for sale near me and am looking for some information. Firstly it is Sn# 6820 (no prefix letter). If one of you wizards with access to the surviving logbooks could give me some information as to the rifle's original part serial numbers I would be so appreciative!

Secondly, this example is lacking a bayonet lug and as far as i can tell it does not have any machining on the barrel to indicate that it had one or could accept one. It does have military style sights (post with protective wings) rather than the sporter hooded post. Could this be a re-barrel or possibly a sporter version? Looks like a parkerized receiver as well as a metal butt plate so i'm not sure. It also looks like it has a rear notch site rather than an aperture. I didn't get a good enough look (will go back in a few days to really do a more thorough inspection) but were there ever notch sites issued with these? I guess the other option would be someone cut an aperture in half to make a notch or perhaps DIY'ed a missing aperture in their shop. Who's to say but i'm curious for any thoughts.

Thank you all for your time, I am super glad that this community exists and that I can be here!

Hi Hendrix051

The SN 6820 appears to have had some work done to it. Like you pointed out, the barrel is missing the bayonet lug, and the 'notch' in the barrel, close to the handguard, suggests that it might be a "Garand" replacement barrel.  The rear site being notched, could possibly have occurred in a field modification, but more than probably was done later by another owner. The production logs do not show any significant distribution history, so I would seriously doubt any and all claims that anyone might have as to its history.

Regardless, if the price is right, it looks like a decent piece, and with some time and effort, a replacement bayonet lug might be acquired and installed.

As I seriously doubt that the 'seller' will allow you to fully disassemble the rifle, having all the original part SN's would be of little value until you purchase it.  If they will allow a full disassembly, let us know and we can give you the part SN list. You should be able to see the bolt SN, which originally was 8954.

ArtR

9 hours ago, ArtR said:

Like you pointed out, the barrel is missing the bayonet lug, and the 'notch' in the barrel, close to the handguard, suggests that it might be a "Garand" replacement barrel.

As Garand barrels were made with a gas port and complicated machining on the muzzle end (which would need be cut off) I sort of doubt the barrel was ever originally intended to go on one of those rifles.

If my memory serves me correctly, and I believe it does, both Joe Scott and Brian Alpert have stated that Garand barrels have been used as replacements on JSAR's. Both cite the hand guard clip grooves. The question remains is the groove seen correct for the hand guard clip or not and are there two of them?

Also noticed, barrel does not seem to extend much at all beyond the front site, indicating further it might be a cut down barrel. Current barrel OAL might be interesting to know?

Springfield 1903 barrels for sure, but the Garand barrel would be several inches short if used for the JSAR I believe after whacking the muzzle off at the gas port. And too that's a lot of machine work to turn the Garand barrel down while there are better selections. I too am interested in the barrel length.

Edit: And the groove you see would be for the front handguard cross pin of the Garand, the grooves for the upper rear run longitudinally and would be under the barrel shroud of the JSAR.

To my eye the barrel in the pics looks a little short, which would lend credence to the Garand theory.  Interested in the outcome of this

Wasn't the cross groove for pinning the sight base on the 1903 barrels much much closer to the chamber? As seen in this image, barrel 2nd from top, far right? Groove, as seen on subject JSAR barrel, is significantly beyond hand guard, and may be closer to midway in barrel length.