Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ridge Runner

Barrel Identification and Markings

4 posts in this topic

Hi -

I finally removed my barrel to take a look at it. It is 21.5 inches long (cut down?) and had the protective front sight ears cut off. There is no bayonet lug, or evidence of one.

The rifling is very clear and distinct. The barrel appears to be in good condition. There are two deep "gouges" on the top and bottom of the barrel near the chamber about a quarter of an inch long. They appear to be almost symetrical and directly opposite of each other. They are not scratches.

The barrel only sticks out about one eight of an inch beyone the front sight. It does not appear long enought to fully support a bayonet.

About three quarters down the barrel is a collar with the following marks:

"30-06" on the top

"41" on the bottom

There is also a large "A" on the side of the collar

At the end of the barrel at the chamber is the following markings:

"5006K" is stamped on the lug

"UC" and "XN" are stamped at the very end on the chamber

Can anyone help me identify these marks?

How does the barrel condition compare with others?

Boy, I am really starting to like this rifle. It is a sporter, but it will be a fun project!

You have a Garand M1 barrel which has been machined to fit. The two deep "gouges" are the remains of the grooves for the M1 handguard clip. It was never turned for a bayonet lug but can be machined for lug and new front sight. Bore should be excellent as these were probably new barrels when modified.

Thank you for the comment. I appreciate it.

Is this typical? I hope I have not bought a bad rifle. I love the looks of it and really look forward to learning more about the history of it.

Does this make it a lot less valuable?

A resurrected Garand bbl is not unusual on a Winfield "Standard" sporter which it looks like you have. I have owned 2 such rifles and seen several others. The bbl is obviously not worth what a decent original is, but then again, you have a $2M Sporter, not a $5M+ pristene original rifle. You can still "remilitarize" yours with a new butt stock, plate, swivel and bayonet lug and have a nice representative JSAR for well under $3M.