Rarecat

Original JSAR Manual on GB

12 posts in this topic

Interesting? Looks identical to mine and I know mine isn’t original. Might be hard to prove originality?

The picture quality in the reproductions I’ve purchased are definitely low quality compared to an original. That’s the best way to check for originals I’ve found. 

just in case, check this link showing info about Johnson publications. 

http://www.johnsonautomatics.com/publications.htm

I've got both original and repop. Different color, round cut corners, patina and better-quality manufacturing.  I agree it's hard to tell by the pics posted but it looks legit to me

Manuals.jpg

The wartime originals had the red pebble finish covers, round corners, and lightweight paper  just a little thick than bible paper.  I have one signed with owner at Aberdeen proving grounds. The square ones were post war from company in Az. who reprinted various manuals.  I  also printed some with round corners but was never able to find the pebble finish cover paper.  Mine were stamped with my name.

Guess I need to take another look at mine because mine is the brown/red, round corner version. I was told it was a repro?

I’ve managed  to collect some original publications including brochures, and original semi auto manuals, and recently found a original LMG and semi auto manuals in a package deal.                       One of the semi auto manuals has a name of George Dimtrieff inside, in case anyone knows him

1D37FDDA-FB33-4C1E-8CB2-D21E29DFE5C3.jpeg

1EBD1747-7DF8-4CBD-A6D9-CA2C39317E5F.jpeg

Not a guarantee of proving authenticity, because almost anything can be faked, but you can look at the staples between the middle pages of 30 and 31. An original copy will most likely show some rust or corrosion on the staples with leakage onto most of the pages throughout the manual. Mine shows a small amount of rust and the patina on the cover and pages looks correct in addition to the details mentioned above. Fun to search for these and eventually come across one at a good price! Camstuff has a great variety of Johnson publications.

An interesting rabbit hole is how many were printed, by whom, how they were isuied (w/ rifles or separate).  Why not in Dutch?  Any in Spanish?

Well the manual sold for a whopping amount of $260 plus tax and shipping.  I’ve seen one of these sell for over $300 about 18 months ago.

51BF3F83-7B16-4E18-BA71-4983D311CE9C.jpeg

I didn't bid and don't need another but, did advertising it here before bidding closed increase bidding? I don't advertise pieces I'm interested in for that reason!