ArtR

Off Topic, but.....Happy July 4th

12 posts in this topic

Trying to be prepared for the weekend, and to get a jump on the crowds, I sent my son to the store to get a case of beer....this is what he brought back....party all weekend for sure   ...(associated story)

CaseOfPBRb.jpg

Party at Arts!!!  Happy 4th to all.

Next 4th hopefully this recent project will be ready to ring out.

727397CB-60D5-4B6B-8FC3-EBA8EA8ED867.jpeg

Very cool project!!  Hoping next 4th we can see some video!  Happy 4th to you all! 

Rewatching "Sons of Liberty", firing up the grill and hitting the range this weekend...  Let Freedom Ring!

Totally 'awesome' new project! I have a feeling that a lot of time and effort will go into checking that piece out to make sure that it is safe, and then a lot of time will be put into the cleanup and restoration. Blows my mind! PUN certainly intended. Yeah. Video's for sure.

ArtR

P.S.: Any info on the piece? Source? Mfg? Model? History?

Model 1893 imperial German “Heavy field Howitzer” first of its kind built by Krupp, https://www.waterville-me.gov/history-of-watervilles-castonguay-square-cannon/

They are quite rare but this is a link to one of these that lives about 30 miles from me. 
I am working on the history of “my” gun, and why it was hidding in the weeds in Raymond NH. 
 After I free up the breach and other joints I will deliver it to Dave at Seed artillery in PA, He assures me He will restore it to original and make it go boom. Just where to make it go boom is yet to be determined. In my experience large noises even in rural Maine elicit calls to 911.

While some of the history brings up some really bad memories, it is truly an interesting story about the gun and how it arrived here.

Could be used as a starting gun for a VERY large boat race......and based on the appearance, I'm assuming it is too heavy to fly it to PA in a Cessna 172.....

" It is known as the 15cm sFH93 (Schwere Feld Haubitze – or heavy field howitzer), Model 1893. This nearly 5,000 lb. cannon would have been pulled by a team of 6 draft horses and fired 90 lb. explosive projectiles over a distance of 3.5 miles! Approximately 600 of this particular cannon were built." per link  previously given

Definitely complicates finding a suitable shooting range.

Time to make friends with the local National Guard! When we still had tanks here, no one thought twice of loud noises!