Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andy G

Johnson M1941 questions

5 posts in this topic

Mine has "J" on the barrel, as well as "J2896", with a "*".

Hammer is marked "B0746".

Rear of rotary magazine is marked "B7125"

Not marked anywhere on barrel " JA" or ".30-06"

Trying to create link gor pics.

Barrel sound OK for SN 0916 from 1942?

Thanks, Andy

Andy's Rifle

Actually '41 and 30.06 are on the barrel on the skirt like bushing visable from the muzzle view, perhaps this was an earlier marking, than on the barrel tube itself?

Thankyou, Andy

Andy I note you have 2 log-ins. Which one do you want? Andy Gordon or Andy G? If you lose your password it can easily be re-set. Let me know so I can delete the spurious account.

Happy New Year.

PS. There should be marking on the exterior of the barrael in the area of the chamber. This will be J proof , .30-06 and the proof/acceptance dagger mark. These are in addition to markings on the locking collar, and front barrel bushing.

Corrosive ammo ate a lot of Johnson barrels.

There are some examples with new Johnson barrels as they are from early 1950's from spare parts to refurbish, they were $109.50 for a refurbished military rifle in excellent condition with new Johnson barrel-refinished/new military stock.

Winfield offered military Johnsons with fair/poor barrels for $68.50 in 1953.

It did not take long for Winfield to run out of new Johnson barrels and military stocks then Winfield had ultilize what was available-usually sporterized stocks and barrels made by Apex Rifle Company.

Bruce Canfields book on Johnson rifles tells all about this, I would suggest reading this book or even buying a copy.

There are photos on this site of Johnson barrels-look at past posts.

I might add that my father bought a NEW 2 story house with 1 car detached garage for $8,000.00 in 1954...so $109.50 was a lot of cash in 1953.

http://www.brucecanfield.com/johnson-rifles.html

Take Care

Tim