ArtR

Recent activity

31 posts in this topic

I have been watching GB for several days, and have not seen much 'new action'. I wonder if some potential sellers are holding off posting their items, waiting to see what will or might happen with the 3 'high priced' items currently up for bid? Are they asking themselves, "Do I post now at a relatively reasonable price and get that, or do I wait to see if I might get more, if one of these 3 sells?"

There are 3 pretty insane prices for what appear average to good items. But, if one sells, the flood gates will  probably open.

Having watched GB for another 7 days, I am willing to make this comment.

The above 3  items, with extremely high opening bids, continue to sit with zero bids, I.E., absolutely no one is interested at those prices.

If someone truly has an exceptional piece, that may or may not be worth a lot of money, it is best to  give a really exceptional and accurate description along with exceptional and accurate photos.  If you have an absolute minimum that you will accept, maybe put on a reserve or a starting price, but rest assured, that will  slow the bidding process.

But whatever, do not put a starting bid so high that reasonable bidders will just avoid the item altogether.

And DO NOT list an item for twice what you paid for it 3 weeks ago. There are others out there  watching previous and current auctions

Case in point.   A very desirable "penny" auction was recently listed, (with only 4 very descriptive photos) which quickly jumped to 22 bids, and as of this writing was at 25 bids, and over $3,000. I am fairly confident that it will eventually sell for at, if not substantially  above, the average going rate for the item.

Very true - I’ve put a few items on GunBroker but couldn’t bring myself to start super low - I would start at about 20% of the expected price, and easily sold the items a bit above my expected price.  As you said - lot of pictures helps also.

So, now there are 4 high priced items on GB, all still with no bids, while the newcomer in the "penny auction" has added 7 more bids and has doubled in price with 3 days to go.

Yep, I’m a believer that you start your auctions low to attract bidding, and at times start at your minimum price just in case you end up with that one bidder on your item. 

I like the penny auction theory but I just couldn't imagine taking a valuable item I own and putting it up for auction starting at a penny with no reserve. I could do that easier with a commissioned item that is not mine to lose money on, though. Maybe that's the difference here. But, it is ignorant to way over price items and to expect to flip it immediately for double what people know you paid!

The penny auction now has another 5 bids and is just shy of $8K!. Just shy of 2 days to go. The LMG forum is now  betting on the final price.

This is an example where the GB '15 min rule' really kicked in for nearly 2 hrs. If someone really wants a piece, this is where bidding wars prevail, and boost the price.

Six (6) JSARs coming up at Poulins auction next month, 2 of which are nonprefix, I will try to stop by and check a few of the easy to see part numbers this week. 
Phil

Phil: Thanks for the heads up

SN 8459 is back up on GB. It was last seen 5/3/22 and sold soon after for $6600

SN B7633 is back up on GB. It was last seen 3/28/22. I did not catch what it sold for last. This appears to be a Miltech, and the markings look too new and way too crisp.
Compare markings of B7633 to B7689. There is another major tell, which I will not mention here, as I would not want to let whomever did the 'engraving' know, but if you PM me, I will divulge.

Screenshot from 2022-10-11 10-09-24.png

Screenshot from 2022-10-11 10-05-55.png

With roughly 2 days to go, action should pick up on these two penny auction items (8459 & B7633). It will be interesting where they end up.

WOW! The insanity continues. Another SN has appeared on GB SN A1947 with a Buy It Now of $15,999! Meanwhile, the two penny auctions have begun to creep up in price.

I’ve often wondered why verifiable Chilean JSARs aren’t bringing a premium price. Didn’t research this one but maybe their time has come?

just thinking. Phil

It would be nice if their time has come. 

I’m leaning towards the side that if a seller has a 7mm barrel, they will automatically think it’s a Chilean issued rifle, if it were a non prefix we could verify its legitimacy.  We are out of luck if it’s a A or B series. Because I was able to pick up a couple of original 7mm barrels with all the correct markings, I’m sure others have done the same.  I’m a little skeptical about those $15,000 rifles.  And if they do eventually sell, then it helps the value of my non prefix verified Chilean. 

Well, the last hour said it all, and wow! SN 8459 went for $7626.00, which while high, was not out of sight. However, SN B7633 went for an exorbitant $10034.99! Really? It is just a MilTech, nothing outstanding. The other 5 with super starting prices still sit with zero bids. That should be a hint to someone. But, as my dad always said, "Everything is worth what someone is willing to pay!" The craziness continues. I think it is time to wait until they hit 6 figures.

SN B6988 , a Miltech, has show up on GunBroker.

Seller claims "Based on our research and serial number "B6988" this particular rifle was made in 1941, the first year of production (!!)." {Emphasis is theirs}.

Buy the gun, not the story.

Yikes......GB SN A1947 has  been relisted at BIN $16,999 as it did not get a bite at $15,999, Really ????

Nice looking stock! However it’s too nice to match the metal patina. Since Gunbroker charges tax now, that would be approximately $1,550 +/- for my state sales tax plus the sales price of $17,000.  In my opinion, Sellers are not doing their research on prices before listing. 

Well, with some of the prices I've seen paid for mil surps recently, I'd say buyers aren't doing enough research either. But, if someone has the cash, it's their deal. Firearms are better than cash and many other investments now!

Everything exactly matches with no patina. It looks like it was made yesterday. Stock is beautiful also. Nice refinish job! Still a nice rifle. Wonder if the bore is as pristine as the outside?