Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rarecat

Joining the Spitfire Family

14 posts in this topic

Now I'm on the hunt for some ammo.  I'm not a reloader so any assistance finding rounds is appreciated

Congratulations Rarecat good purchase, I’m hoping to get set up to do some reloading, maybe when snow comes. EB was kind enough to sell me a few, not sure if he has any more available. Found some on line but had issues chambering.

We will keep eyes open.

Phil

Thanks Phil,   I bought Dies and Brass, rounds are next...  will get there eventually 

Frank, if you get into handloading, I'm assuming you already know the best load to use, but this is what we used in 1960's.....

Carbine brass

# 6 Primers (small rifle)

Speer FMJ or Sisk soft nose 40 grain .2235 bullets

11.5 grains powder DuPont  # 4227

Dies: R C B S (2 - size & crimp

Estimate MV of 2850 FPS from 18" barrel

Estimite 750 + or - foot pounds of Energy

Groups were average (for me) 2.5 inch at 100 yards....others have done better.

Happy trails!    Ed J

Edited by Ed Johnson
clarification on bullet mfr. & devices

I am working up loads right now starting at 11.5 gr of 4227. The 40 grain bullets that I can find on line are the Hornady V-max and sierra .224 40 grains. Sierra .223 40 grains seem to be OOS everywhere. Anyway, using redding dies my dimensions look good. If you need the case dimensions I can try to  post them up. 

This helps, what primers are you using?

ETA...I just noticed Ed had earlier posted No 6 primers

Remember that my specs on primers and powder and loads are based on what we used back in the 1960's. I don't know if there are other products that are compatible or if the chemical composition of newly manufactured gunpowder might be slightly different..

Those should work. They would be the same primers (I assume) as the .30 M1 Carbine rounds, since we start with M1 Carbine brass.

Good. It is definitely one of mine. Incidentally, note that it has a US M2 30 cal Carbine bolt, which is round, making it slightly heavier than an M1 carbine bolt, which had material removed from the top, making it similar in appearance to an M1 Garand bolt. Both M1 and M2 bolts worked OK ,with our 5.7mm in semi-auto. I'm not positive why the M2 carbines used the heavier bolt, unless it was because the M2 Carbines could fire full automatic with selector switch and maybe they simply wanted more solid weight in the bolt. OR....they found it was cheaper not to have to mill off the extra material from the bolt, as the M2 Carbines were manufactured later.

For those of you with M1, M2 (full-auto) and M1A1 (folding stock), check your stock and let us know what you find, bolt-wise. Maybe a book has the answer also.

4E156D97-CCA8-4777-9160-0E785F357C39.jpegBoth my m1 carbine and m1/m2 have flattened bolts, both spitfire have rounded bolts.