Joseph Scott

late Tulsa report

8 posts in this topic

Tulsa tables were down maybe 500 tables.  At $200 each, many vendors did not attend.  The show spread out the aisles and even inside the tables widened.  Even saw an area of not gun related sales.  Lots of JSAR's  for sale at $11k.   Buffed and blued sporters were asking $7k. Sold one new butt stock and many parts.  One buyer picked up a nice military barrel for $600.  Sold several sets of m14E2 stock hardware.  After 36 years, I chose not to to renew.  Johnson prices may be in a bubble which may burst.

Interesting report Joseph, and expensive tables at that show.  I happen to be heading to a show in Bullhead city tomorrow morning as a spectator, my first time at this show,  I will carry a couple of sporter JSAR’s, along with some other rifles with help from a friend. My prices are no where near the $7k range, I found it’s hard to find buyers with this kind of cash at a show. Do others find the same thing?  

The average Joe walking around a show with huge sums of cash is extremely rare. However, be advised, dealers with cash, will abound, and if they see what they think is a 'deal/steal', they will jump on it and mark it up appreciably at the next table/Internet listing. Right now, any JSAR under $8k will attract their attention, as has been evidenced by some of the recent auction posting

However, I think Joe is also correct.  While we may be wrong, I do not see these exorbitant prices lasting too long. Especially if we enter any sort of recession, which many see as being on the horizon.

I have researched values using actual sold prices quite often and have found other collectible guns in my collection that the prices have seemed to of reached their max for the time being and some values have actually been dropping. I kind of think that the younger generation are not appreciating the older style firearms, and after visiting today’s show, there seems to be a higher interest in the AK’s, SKS’s and as always AR’s.  

Well, interesting thoughts about bubbles and rising prices. I remember shooting 1911s constantly with training I was doing leading up to, and after, 2011 with the 100 year anniversary of John Browning's M1911 pistol. The prices of 1911s were shooting up with the renewed anniversary interest. We were discussing the prices and were certain that the interest in 1911s would drop after the 100th year anniversary boost and we could restart our collecting pursuits with better prices.

That year we saw prices of nice condition M1911s and M1911A1s start to go over $1,000. Well, we were dead wrong. Now these same condition pistols are easily over $2,000 and higher. I'm not sure the JSAR "bubble" will burst that much based on history. Inflation and supply and demand will keep these prices high overall. Even with a recession, lots of people are flush with money to spend or invest in anything and Milsurp firearms are hot!

Time will tell, though!

Hack-1911.jpg

Someone was definitely under gunned in that photo! Great display.

That was our instructor at our local rifle club for years before he moved to Idaho- Ken Hackathorn. Couldn't have had a better instructor- shooting friend. This is a photo I shot of him in front of the table with all of our 1911s displayed from the 100th year anniversary in 2011. Seems like yesterday!

Great 1911 picture.  I like your thoughts about the milsurp investment.

I had experienced an increase in values over a 20 year span starting about 1979 to 1999, and anything I owned had doubled In price.   Then some of the stuff I purchased in the 80’s, I had sold in the 2010’s had more then doubled, with the exception of a couple of items.  I’m kind of hoping it continues like this.