WHIG

JSAR with unusual receiver repair

7 posts in this topic

There is a posting on Gun Boards about a Johnson 1941 rifle that has a fairly significant and unusual repair to the receiver for some unknown reason. No known history is given for this piece. One comment was an attempt to repair a previous scope mount. That didn't seem likely to me. I thought it could be from a blow out hot round that damaged a part of the receiver over the rear part of the chamber, therefore making the rifle unusable. It is interesting how the first part of the serial number was restamped after the repair. I've never seen anything like this. Someone put a lot of work into the repair but it really isn't a quality job. Looks crappy. But, opinions will be interesting.

jsar3 copy.jpg

jsar2 copy.jpg

jsar1 copy.jpg

jsar4 copy.jpg

jsar5 copy.jpg

Ouch & Wow all at the same time...:o

I'd be afraid to fire it.  It does look like some kind of repair for a drilled & tapped mount, you can see an old tap hole in the forward section next to the U in Automatics.

Boy! That is all sorts of questionable, and possibly 'scary'!

Oh my!! Looks like grafting work.  I don’t know, I’m no expert, but it looks a bit scary and dangerous.  

As a former machinist and having played with firearms for over 60 years, I wouldn't touch that rifle with a long stick.

Now, looking at the "full size photos", are those 'two screw heads'  which appear ground off at either end? I.E., was the repair just attaching a piece with screws and grinding to shape?  That is now even more than scary!