ArtR

Recent sightings

33 posts in this topic

I agree with rarecat, looks like possibly a Miltec, not that it’s a bad thing. Looks like a Reproduction stock, Picture #18 shows another non factory cartouch.  The discription says it was in the safe for 25 years.  How long has miltec been around?  

5 hours ago, Rarecat said:

Another one popped up on GB, looks parked all over...

JSAR 5046

It does have a certain "Miltech" appearance. There are several things to which Miltech probably would not attach their name: The magazine door spring is wrong and the front take down pin is either missing or has been replaced by one which is of the short type, sometimes seen on "Sporters" which have a wooden fore arm not notched for the take down pin or retainer.

Gunbroker.JPG

The cartouche of course is highly suspect. I wonder if Miltech would have taken in someone's gun to refurbish, but not to completely return to the proper configuration? Cost may have been a concern for the customer? That barrel shroud is a custom touch which devalues the rifle by half in my opinion. Those custom "cut-outs" actually have no reasonable function. Why on earth would someone do that? Maybe to eliminate some sort of damage to the upper part of the shroud? Returning that shroud to original configuration would take skill and patience. So to me, the shroud is the most damaging to the value. Miltech would NOT have left out that front take down pin! That could be dangerous. Certainly they would not attach their company name to the rifle and put it up for sale.

Miltech's web site is here: https://www.miltecharms.com/index.htm

On 1/1/2023 at 3:25 PM, camstuff said:

They updated the auction, it has been sold locally.   I have actually been to this gun store located in Ramona, I had stopped in to check inventory and they had two JSAR’s on the shelf for a pretty decent price in 2017 I thought.  It was right after I bought my first JSAR. By the time I decide to buy them, they were sold. 

This item, SN A0061, though sort of clearly marked as 'sold' in store, is still clearly listed, instead of removed, and now currently has 22 bids, 2 new as of today 1/5/2023.

I suspect some bidders may be irritated in the end.

Edited by ArtR
Added SN to clarify post and a comment

WOW!  It’s doubled in price with the bids since I’ve last looked. Have to wonder what’s going to happen with the sellers and reasoning for keeping the auction up for bids. 

Wow! Holy Crap! This item SN A0061, which the seller told people to stop/not bid on after Jan 1 as it sold locally, now has over 29bids and is at over $16k. I hope the guy got at least that much in the store! Or, I have to wonder, if the bidders are pulling a fast one on him for not pulling the listing? If they are serious, someone is really going to be upset when this auction does finally either get pulled or ends.

On 1/2/2023 at 0:54 PM, ArtR said:

SN A4897 has shown up again (last seen April 2015), Nice looking and includes bayonet and scabbard.

But on second thought, with regard to this listing, has anyone got an issue with some of the wording?

"WWII Model 1941 Johnson Automatics - REAL USMC Paratrooper Guadalcanal"

"RARE Semi-Auto Rifle, S/N Listed in Canfield Book!"

"100% original the exact way that it came from the "Johnson Automatics" factory"

"...absolutely Rare 22" barrel, Scarce 30-06 Springfield Cartridge ..."

and other ????

Buyer beware! Buy the rifle not the story!

Edited by ArtR
Whoops...got two listings mixed up...del image and strike 2 lines

Oh My!!  I spotted several red flags, even the serial number looks a bit fresh compared to the rest of the stampings.  Maybe I’m wrong, maybe it’s the real deal, but that’s only the receiver. Also first time I’ve seen this time type of charging handle. 

Do we know which one Joseph owns that’s documented?