mit31

Anyone turning remington 700 barrels for m41 rifles?

8 posts in this topic

I’d like to have a barrel built that i can shoot without guilt, and also have the earless fro t sight. I have all the parts except a donor barrel. 

Is anyone turning remington 700 barrels for use on johnson rifles? I know someone used to.

Tim

Check with Bruce Dow of Dow Arms Room in Dade City Florida, he can do it for you

1 hour ago, taharad said:

Call Miltech

Are you saying they have and sell converted barrels for Johnson rifles? Or just making an unsupported statement? 

I know that this is an older question but I too was interested in a “shooter” barrel for my Johnson. After digging through my junk I found that the threads on the Johnson barrel extension were 1.00x16 tpi which are a relatively common thread size. A Winchester model 70 featherweight barrel (post 64) makes an easy to fit barrel. The threads match the Johnson, the barrel guide is almost an exact fit, just took some polishing it to fit the Johnson barrel guide and the front sight pressed on well. Obviously the face of the barrel needs to be cut back into a cone and a cut for the extractor made, followed by head spacing the barrel. None of this was too difficult to do assuming you have the tools and know how. I did this one last night and tested it this morning, now I have a .308 barrel to go with my .30-06. Hopefully this can be of help to someone else.

Paul 

54215812-E9A4-4269-9D62-339B065029A5.jpeg

8C2AD992-B1FA-4FEA-8987-693A6D1C9008.jpeg

71E5F541-0ACD-4BCF-B1C9-B869619BA219.jpeg