Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BBBQ

New member, new 1941 Johnson

29 posts in this topic

Hi guys couple of updates. I tracked down all the re-barrel advice and dimensions on this site, its pretty clear. Unfortunately I don’t have the time to learn to do this myself. I took the parts and instructions to my gunsmith, but he declined, he doesn’t rebarrel semi-autos. So now I need to find the right person in this country to do the work. I’ve held back on buying the taper pins and taper pin reamers… That stuff will cost me $200, and if I find someone with experience doing JSAR rebarrels, they should have those things. But if anyone has taper pins to spare (one #2 x ¾” and two #2/0 x 5/8”) I would gladly buy them off you.

In the meantime I keep accumulating parts. Tanker, I got in contact with the legend Mr. Joe Scott and now I have a bayonet lug, many thanks. Then an original bayonet and scabbard came up for sale for a relatively good price. I don’t know why these get a hard time. To me its practically the same concept as a No4 Mk1 Enfield or Mosin Nagant

Another thing I did with some sadness was pop rivet my magazine to 5 rounds, ‘cause it’s the law and I plan on keeping this awhile. Thanks Dutch2 for the dimensions of where to drill the hole. I used a 3/16” diameter rivet and I found you have use a long rivet about 7/8” long. A shorter one in the same hole allows 6 rounds.

Still on the hunt for a NOS mainspring, and the two screws that hold the forend key in place... have cash
20240121_165559.jpg

Hi guys, surprise surprise, my new barrel is all assembled and I just got back from the range. I found this shop in southern Ontario to do the work: www.vulcangun.com . The owner Nick Kaikkonen has videos of his Johnson work on Youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_I1HxiXtmM  (Note serial numbers 5321 and 3002 in the video). Dealing with Nick was a pleasure. The cost and timeline of 6 weeks were exactly as he quoted, and the workmanship is high quality. This wasn’t cheap. The labour by Vulcan with taxes and shipping both ways was $1120. The parts (Rem 700 take off barrel ($25), set of barrel collars ($370), bayonet lug ($190), front sight ($100)) brought the complete product up to a grand total of $1800 (all prices in Canadian dollars). Thanks again to ryche_me for the collars and Joe Scott for the bayo lug. I’m glad I went for M48tankers advice and got the bayonet lug too.

I shot 25 rounds and function with the Remington 700 barrel is perfect. I even put the factory bayonet on and took a few standing shots, this worked perfect too. With my old barrel I was getting 12 to 16 inch "groups" at 50 meters using surplus LC69 M2 rounds. Now a 5 shot group with the same ammo same distance is 4 inches. The result might be better with some new production M2 and a warm day. Its -10 C so I was shooting with winter gloves on. Its not a sniper, but back to battle rifle accuracy and I can hit what I am at.

Still on the hunt for a NOS mainspring, and the two screws that hold the forend key in place... have cash

20240324_194632.jpg

20240323_224031.jpg

20240323_224254.jpg

20240324_150628.jpg

Hey Buddy lookin good, glad i could help.

Joe Scott had new Main Springs at one time. I don't know if he still does.

I would try him 1st.

Ryche