cvgresch

New member - New 1941 Johnson Rifle

27 posts in this topic

I can't believe that I didn't think of this before! THE BOLT HOLD OPEN LEVER might be infringing on the shell follower as the last round is presented to the bolt. It is at this point that the front tang/tongue on the bolt hold open bar/lever, starts to be pushed down as it's struck by the angled section at the rear of the shell follower.

Joe Scott has always advised that the front tang on a "BHO" must be fitted to each individual rifle in order to work properly. I suppose it's possible that your "BHO" needs some fitting. You could leave the "BHO" out of the rifle just to see if that cured the problem. You might have to file just a bit off that tang or change the angle of the tang that is presented to the shell follower "cam lobe"....that angled piece on the back of the follower.

BHO tongue.jpg

Magazine operation with bolt hold open.jpg

shell follower explained.jpg

Sorry for the extremely late response. 

I do believe this is the main (possibly only) issue. I have started the tedious process of filing a little bit down and refitting in the hopes of getting it just right as I do not want to take too much material off. 

The only other thing I could imagine it being is if the body of magazine housing is slightly tweaked (twisted in a manner if that makes sense) that could possibly cause a failure to feed elegantly due to the slightly incorrect angle of mate-up to the upper. I only mention this as there is a very small amount of torque I can apply to the magazine housing and sometime ( definitely not always) it helps to get the round up and presented properly. 

Either way I will continue slowly whittling down on the bolt hold open. 

Thanks for the help!

-cvgresch